25. Genesis*

"My first breath was a blade of grass."

Misani's voice rang through the dark mist around Elery and the area flooded with light. Like a fog bank rolling back in a hard draft, the world revealed itself.

Brilliant grass sprawled in all directions, waving in the wind that carried delicate petals and leaves upon it. High into the sky they flew, stretching toward the blue expanse unmarred by clouds.

"But breath does not bring consciousness. Breath does not bring understanding. For babies breathe, yet they know nothing. Devoid of knowledge, devoid of self. So for many thousands of years I breathed and grew. Then the first sparks of awareness came in the form of two flourishing species."

The grass rustled around her as a herd of hoofed creatures rushed by. Deep black, brown, white, and golden blonde fur shone off their pelts as they bounced above the tall grass. They looked much like small, featherless molner. Branched horns adorned their heads in all shapes and sizes, some covered in wispy, felt-like material that hung in ragged scraps.

As Elery turned, prompted to do so by the sound of movement behind her, one of the creatures leaped at her. She raised her arms but felt no impact. Yet she knew the moment it struck her. Her vision changed, becoming wider and less focused. She saw the sprawling heard of creatures around her. She turned her head and caught a glimpse of what came behind them.

Large, savage beasts with thick fur and open muzzles full of gleaming teeth gave chase on all fours. They stood at least twice the size of the little hoofed creatures. They resembled lycar in some ways. Their long legs, the dense muscles rippling under their pelt, and the vaguely similar faces stood among the biggest similarities.

Elery looked forward and realized she was running. She glanced down; her hooves beat against the ground, kicking clumps of dirt and shorter grass up as she leaped to clear the tops of the largest stalks.

Confusion.

Run.

Run.

Her pounding heart thumped within her narrow breast and she leaped the grass again, chancing a glance behind her. One of the monstrous creatures leaped atop a lagging member of her group. Two of the others stopped to begin eating it.

One continued to pursue.

She turned forward again, hot breath blowing through her wide nostrils as her mouth hung open. She bleated a soft cry to the others.

Run.

Run.

Hide.

The thoughts formed words that were not words in her mind. Fear overwhelmed her senses and all of what came before fled. Her mind, reduced to the simple mind of a prey animal, raced as she scanned the broad sea of grass before her.

One of their youngest let out a wild shriek and Elery's cupped ears swiveled back. She turned her head.

The young creature tumbled across the field as the creature behind it swiped and connected with its flank.

A spark of something illuminated a new thought in Elery. A thought her kind had never possessed.

Attack.

She turned and ran back to the young one. It lay on the ground, one of its legs twisted.

The predator ran toward it.

Its mouth drew closer.

Elery twisted as she drew near and kicked with her hind legs. Her hooves impacted the side of his mouth, shattering teeth.