40. Violet Eyes*

The sun filtering in through the cracked window beside the table hurt Elery's eyes as she finished telling the general all that Isandel had laid on her. She squinted, her delicate golden lashes doing little to block out the light. Misani and Isandel sat in the far corner together on a collection of stuffed sacks that served as chairs, though Misani squirmed far too much. She would not stay in place much longer.

The general uttered a sigh and leaned forward on his arms. They pressed down on the chipped wooden table until it creaked. "Can his information truly be trusted?"

"I see no reason that he would lie," she replied. "He has only protected me thus far. I'm inclined to believe him."

The general stood and tucked his arms behind his back, beginning to pace the floor beside the table. "Many of our comrades, after losing bondmates, chose to leave and move north. That is what they claimed, at least."

"Celestine can speak to minds infected with death," Isandel said. "I protected the Princess's mind from the moment she picked up my sword. So long as it was in her possession, Celestine could not speak to her."

"Her reach extends further than we know, then." The general sighed. "If she can force—"

"No," he interrupted. "She can only coerce. She can whisper promises of being reunited with those left behind."

"But if the bodies are destroyed, how could she hold true to this promise?" Elery asked.

Misani rubbed her hands together. "If it had been Cylphi who died on the field that day, might you have been so eager to dismiss any chance of seeing her again?"

She frowned and rested back in her chair. "I...might have done anything for a chance to bring her back. Just as I might have with my parents."

"The grieving do not listen to reason. They cling to hope." Isandel stood. "Something Celestine offers with great sweetness. She may not be able to bring them back as they were, but she promises something new—an existence for all without death. Her promise is to pay her dues once she has her way. But by then there will be no living being left to remember her promises."

"We've spent enough time on this," the general said. "If those with dark bondmarks are at risk we should consider the possibility that necrocasters are already within the body of civilians at Ortuna. We must hurry, lest we arrive to find a nest of corpses."

Elery looked at Isandel, her brows set tight to pinch her forehead. "If so, this will be because you neglected to tell me sooner."

"I am confident you'll not find that to be the case," Isandel replied. "If a necrocaster were in your midst, you would surely know. They are not easily overlooked."

"I trust you," Elery said. "I pray this does not change that." She stood and followed the general outside, only to find the building surrounded. "What is the meaning of this?"

The knights, fully-suited and armed, kept their weapons pointed forward. "We will not allow you to take over this outpost," one said as he stepped forward.

"Have you taken leave of your senses Loix?" The general snarled.

The knight, a blonde with several scars across his cheek and down his neck, pointed at Elery. "All that has happened transpired in her presence! The attacks on Lyewryn and Andethayn all happened while she dwelt within those cities! She freed this dragon and that—" He glanced to Misani, "—thing. And now she comes here, commits a grave taboo, all out of some insane theory that those with darkened marks become our enemies? You have been fooled, general!"

"Lower your weapons, you mutinous scum," the general growled. "I'll have the lot of you jailed!"

"We are all in agreement, sir," another knight said. "The princess—"