30. Earned Reputation*

Suthri's glistening pearl gates came into view by evening of the third day. Elery rode astride Isandel's back as he galloped across the field, not slowing until he reached the gates.

Three guards pulled their weapons as the came to a stop.

"We've come from Lyewryn to speak with King Gaidel," Elery said. "I am Princess Elery D'chiel, general of the Lyewryn army and heir to the throne." She held up her sword. "We come on business."

The guards looked at each other, then back as they sheathed their blades.

"Forgive us, M'lady. Ill news spreads from the east and the king is put on edge," one said.

"He should be," she said. "We are on the verge of another great war and I must move quickly lest we lose what precious time we have left. Please, let me through. I've already sent word ahead of me by messenger bird."

"I'm afraid we've received no—"

A woman walked out as the gate opened with a loud groan. "Let her through."

"Yes, Lady Jesset!" the three answered as one. They stepped out of her path.

"Well met, Lady Elery." Jesset put her fist to her chest. Her coal-black hair, free of any binding and hanging around her shoulders in waves, shook with the gesture. "I am the captain of the Suthri guard and the King's right hand. Come, he has been informed of your pending arrival."

Elery climbed off Isandel's back and planted her boots on the dark cobble path. Isandel transformed as he walked with her, this time settling on a pure white robe.

Jesset looked back at Isandel. "I've never seen anyone capable of forming a pact with a dragon before."

"She was very insistent," Isandel said.

"Pray tell, what do you call yourself?" she asked.

"Drakkis—" Elery started.

"Isandel," he replied at the same time.

Jesset came to a halt. She turned to both and said, "M'lady, I pray this dragon is lying and that you are not."

"Fool of a beast!" Elery snapped and turned her head. "Do you seek out moments to cause the most trouble? Or is it simply a natural reflex?"

"I might say it's a gift," Isandel said with a gentle flip of his wrist.

"Princess." Jesset's voice was stern and her expression was one of great worry. "If you would tell me now his name is Drakkis, I would believe you." She reached out and gripped her wrist. "I would speak this name to my king and vouch for your truthfulness."

Elery shook her head. "It's pointless now. I'd hoped not to alarm anyone but I'll not burden you with lies. He is Isandel, Lord of the Dark Forest."

Jesset released her and took a step backward. Her silver, upturned horns caught the sun and shone brightly. "Have you gone mad?"

"In his presence I feel I may just. But for now I am of sound mind and body and he is of great use to me. He is under control, I give you my word. He will cause no harm to your king or country."

With a harsh sigh Jesset brushed her hair away from her face. "Times must be dire to resort to such fell creatures as him...I will take your word and vouch for you both. But should you cause trouble you'll not be the only ones to suffer the consequences. I pray you remember that."

Isandel laughed and startled both women. "Oh, no, please! Continue talking as if I were not standing right beside you!" His tail thumped the ground. "You creatures amuse me. To assume you know what my intentions are...It's quite brazen."

"Your reputation precedes you. I've every right to be cautious," Jesset snapped.

"Not cautious enough if you only now worry over the things I might do to you and your fair kingdom." He stepped forward and brushed past Elery, walking toward Jesset. "You did not worry over me each night as you rested in bed, did you?"

She took a step back and rested a hand on her sword. "Keep back, beast."

"Did you worry what I might do as you closed your eyes and fell into slumber?" He continued forward until her back was pressed to wall of a nearby building. As she drew her sword he gripped her wrist and held it pinned above her head. "If I'd a mind to I could have fled that forest at any time. I could have come here, to your very city, and sought you out."

"L-let me go!" Jesset said.

"Release her!" Elery snapped.

"I could have come through your window and found you there, laid out, in nothing but the thin night dress you no doubt sleep so comfortably in." He leaned forward, now speaking gently against her ear. "And after I whispered all manner of sweetness in your ear, until you begged me to slide into your bed, I would act out every manner of perverse thought upon your beautiful body until you screamed your passion into the warm night air. Just as I've done countless men and women before you."

Jesset's hand trembled until it seemed she would drop her blade. A fierce blush spread across her cheeks and her breathing grew staggered.

"I said let her go!" Elery grabbed his arm and tried to pull him away.

"And once I'd reduced you to a quivering, orgasmic mess beneath me, when your voice had finally gone hoarse from your cries, I'd swallow your soul before you could come down from your euphoria."

Elery drew her sword and pressed it against the back of his neck. "It is not too late for me to kill you," she growled.

Isandel's grip on her wrist weakened. He released her and held up both hands in a show of surrender.

Jesset pulled away from him, stumbled to the side, then collapsed to the ground. She kept her gaze fixed on the cobble beneath their feet.

"Leave us," Elery told him. "Explore the city. Be certain there are no enemies and come back when you've finished. If I catch wind that you've misbehaved yourself—"

"You'll have my head. Yes, yes, I've heard this already." He turned, a smile playing across his lips. "Fear not, Princess. I will do as you ask and leave each soul intact."

Elery lowered her sword as he walked away. When he disappeared down a side street she sheathed it and turned her attention to Jesset.

"I-I have never felt that way before," the woman breathed.

"Did he hurt you?"

She shook her head. "No..."

Elery frowned. "You do not seem so sure."

"It wasn't pain I felt," she replied, and her blush deepened. "It was as if I lost myself. Even the concept of death at his hands did not seem terrifying."

"Do not let his words cloud you." Elery held out her hand and gazed back in the direction he'd left. She wondered, though...He was far from the all-powerful God others spoke of. Perhaps he was not the soul-eater others assumed, either.