76. Facing The Flame pt. 1*

Elery's stomach grew increasingly uneasy as the sounds of battle faded away. Misani returned to her, helping to replenish her aura as they ran, and with only Isandel beside her the uneasiness became knots in her belly. She hadn't imagined leaving her companions behind. Dakkan, half-blind, Vydel left to face a traitor and whatever allies he held sway over, and Nyph...

She shook her head to free herself of the worrying thoughts threatening to consume her as she continued down the dim stone tunnel.

Gone were the intricate carvings. The tunnel through which they ran was no different from those leading to Ortuna. The wide path could have accommodated Isandel if he chose to transform. Lantern stones embedded in the ceiling lit the way, casting curious shadows along the walls and floor that danced and swayed like changelings to the tune of gentle music.

The heat grew intense as they moved deeper and it wasn't long before she discovered why. The end of the path opened into a great chamber sooner than she was prepared for.

Her momentum carried her off the edge.

She gripped the stone and shrieked as a blast of heat instantly drenched her in sweat.

Below stretched a vast pool of lava. Hardened areas cracked open to form veins of vibrant gold that flooded the area with light. Heat rose up in visible sheets of shimmering air, distorting the scene around her so that even the walls appeared to be liquid. Her eyes stung against the heat, though she imagined the sweat dripping over her lashes contributed to that pain as well.

The mystmetal was helpless to maintain her body temperature under such extreme temperature. The persistent tickle of sweat rolled down the small of her back.

Isandel dropped to his knees and grabbed her arm. He yanked her up so quickly she shrieked again. Falling back with her atop him, he curled his arms around her. "Calm yourself, you are safe."

Safe was a strange term considering the circumstances. She breathed out heavily and pushed herself to her hands and knees, breaking from his embrace. "F-forgive me, I should not have been so hasty."

"I'd not expect you to anticipate a drop into a volcano." He stood and helped her to her feet.

Elery stepped forward and peered over the edge. Far below them draggats prowled the edges near the lava along with several other spirits she had no names for. The rising heat drove her from the edge as quickly as her curiosity brought her to it. She turned to look at the path which continued along the wall and said, "I suppose we continue down."

The lack of enemies was disconcerting, but given the terrain through which she walked she couldn't say it was surprising. Celestine would risk no harm to her desired vessel, even if it permitted enemies safe passage to her very doorstep.

Elery looked up, expecting that she might see the volcano opening, but it was well beyond her sight. The rock was covered in soot and curved upward to house smaller spirits on its ledges. They peered down at her but made no attempt to harm her or Isandel. She knew not whether they sided with Celestine, or whether they remained ignorant to the plight of the world around them. If Sylver could change her mind...

She dismissed the thought as she moved forward. There could be no more distractions.

The path led into another tunnel that came to an abrupt end after several hundred paces before a pair of large metal doors. The ornate golden décor winding through them resembled wings which spread from the seam between them.

Elery rested her hands on the doors and pushed forward as she steeled herself for what she would find within.

The doors groaned and scraped against the floor, stubbornly protesting but ultimately yielding to her as she moved forward and pushed harder.