73. Ascending The Mountain*

Elery's recovery progressed day by day as they marched forward. By the twenty-first day she found the wound completely sealed with a layer of tough scar tissue, while the others suffering from their own injuries made a full recovery. The sun and moons chased each other through the sky, never once drawing close to catching each other, while Elery drew ever-nearer to her target. They left the sea behind and finally, through the haze shrouding the snowy world, the mountains came into view.

Their peaks rose to disappear within the clouds. The path laid out ahead of them, the road known as Delphicore Steep, swept up a cleft in the mountains where the two met to become one. It appeared as a ghostly trail through the gloom. Glistening white snow covered part of the mountain while much of it lay bare before them. The stark rock face, made of compacted layers of dark gray and darker brown, offered only one possible way in which they might ascend to the city tucked away within the mountain range.

Uncomfortable calmness had filled their journey after defeating Taelin and his troops. It gave ample time to heal, but the relief could not overshadow how unnerved they grew day by day. The closer they came to the end of their journey the more they were forced to accept that they were marching into her territory. Very few of them knew the Bethgardel landscape. It was a kingdom very much to itself with few dealings with the outside world. It went so far as to cut trade negotiations and travel permits.

Even before it became their enemy, the city itself seemed an abyss from which none escaped. The few who visited on business always took a strange likeness to the kingdom. Their last words to anyone came to their families by way of couriers delivering letters stating they were renouncing king and country to live in Bethgardel.

It was a strange thing to be sure, but those who were sent to investigate similarly disappeared. Eventually negotiations stopped. Envoys avoided Bethgardel and the territory became known as The Secluded Kingdom. All Elery knew of it came from textbooks and maps, with most recent knowledge coming from the escaped soldiers.

Still, it was not enough to form a full, working picture in her head. She could guess at their strategy, she could form endless strategies of her own, but few things seemed certain.

The Steep was wide enough to march twenty molner side by side with ample space between them up the curving path which swept up the mountainside. Its borders were lit with countless lantern stones. The area was warmer, mostly devoid of snow, thanks to the twin volcanoes further back within the mountain range. The fire spirits lurking within guaranteed the area relief from snow and ice, but not the haze which accompanied the season.

"I see the mountain shelves," Isandel said. "They are much larger than I anticipated. Each holds at least four dragons and a collection of lycar and seryn."

She pulled herself higher onto his neck. "Vydel, I leave command to all archers to you!"

Vydel, who stood on the ground with Nyph and Dakkan, glanced around at the large group. "Are you sure you do not require me for other matters?" she asked.

Elery knew what "other matters" she was concerned about, for they concerned her as well. So far Loix had been silent. His allies remaining hidden and obedient. But Elery knew his strike would come when she was most vulnerable. Perhaps the moment she struck down Celestine, while the confusion would be at its peak. "I will handle those matters myself."

The drakborne woman pressed her lips into a thin line but nodded. She gestured with a swipe of her clawed hand. "Aim as if your lives depend on it! Chances are good they most certainly do!"

The bow wielders raised their bows into the air and cheered before rushing to the dragons that encircled the group. Within moments the large group was in the air, casting shadows over the remainder.