54. Difficult Decisions*

Elery kept her thoughts and concerns silently locked inside as they rode north through the streets in a wooden molner-pulled cart. Their hooves clacked against the stone and echoed off the surrounding buildings as the full scale of the city was revealed.

The map could never do it justice. Though it appeared large on paper, it wasn't until their third stop to let the molner sleep that she realized the grandeur of their chosen hiding place.

"How could the keepers possibly care for such a large city?" Cylphi asked as they loaded into the cart once more. Another night's sleep left everyone groggy, though not as cranky as it had the first night.

"I cannot imagine," she admitted.

Their driver smiled as she passed to climb the side of the cart. "We live far and wide in sectors. Those not tasked with tending the crops and animals sweep their sectors to keep each house clean. We've done so for ages beyond recording, since the birth of this great city."

Once the group was well seated the cart lurched forward to continue the journey. Large buildings gave way to tracts of land that sprawled in all directions the further north they rode. Farmhouses stood as lonely sentries over the farmlands which held various crops Elery couldn't rightly identify by sight. Some plots held trees, while some fenced-in areas held thousands of livestock. Lantern stones were thickly scattered to provide enough light for everything to grow, though the crops, grass, and trees were noticeably smaller than those exposed to sunlight.

When the molner stopped again it was not at the front door of a home in which to spend the night, but at a thick overgrowth of bushes and small trees. The keeper dismounted from the driver's bench and stepped close to the greenery. "Beyond these bushes lies the mouth of the postern."

The group climbed from the cart to stretch and collect their supplies. The dragon brothers moved ahead and examined the bushes before pushing their way through with Isandel close behind.

"I cannot thank you enough for all you've done for us," Elery said.

"We require no thanks, M'lady," the keeper said. "We only ask that you take care and return safely."

Dakkan pushed the bushes apart to allow Cylphi and Elery entry, then followed behind. The dragons were in the midst of their transformations, and true to their word each was just large enough to bear a single rider comfortably upon their back. Hardly larger than a molner, the four rested on their bellies once their change was complete to await their riders.

Isandel stood out among the four with his ruby and ebony scales, while the three brothers wore identical black scales and hair. Discerning one from the other on sight alone was impossible.

"I suppose the numbers work in our favor," Vydel said.

Elery frowned. Whether the comment was meant to be a jab toward Taelin or not, it left a sour taste in her mouth that made her want to spit. She walked silently to Isandel and pulled herself onto his back.

The others mounted the black dragons, with Dakkan least enthralled with the idea. He grumbled audibly, a sound that ricocheted off the craggy, claw-gouged walls until the sound filled the vast space.

"I like it as little as you do, lycar," Vydel said. "I despise admitting faults as I'm sure you do, but neither of us would keep up with a dragon."

Dakkan snorted. "You hardly need to tell me."

"No, but if I am to point out my own faults, I would have someone seem as bad as I."

This spurred a louder growl and Elery whistled to cut the argument off before it began. "Hold tight. Bind their hair round your waist if you aren't comfortable with your grip."