20. The Clash*

Isandel did not fly as quickly as before. Elery could still see the knights riding behind them when she glanced back. "Why have we not lost sight of them?" she asked.

"Your companions are safe for now. There remains several hundred paces' distance between them and their pursuers." He flapped his wings, the thin leather ruffling against the force of the air. "I could hasten, if you wished. Though since you are their commander now I thought it wise to remain in their sights."

"How do you know the others are okay?" she asked.

"I see much further than you, little seryn princess."

Her mouth twisted to the side. For a moment she forgot her position. Her hands loosened from his hair and she crossed her arms. "I'm hardly small. I've not been so for many seasons."

He shifted his long neck and her gaze drifted past the expanse of scales and hair beneath her to the ground below. She shrieked and grabbed his hair, pressing herself tight against his neck. Her eyes squeezed closed.

Isandel laughed. The sound rumbled through his body. "Maybe so, but your voice would prove otherwise!"

Though her mouth opened to argue, the only sound it let pass was a soft whimper.

"Eyes open, Princess."

She curled his hair around her arms and opened her eyes again. "How much longer until we arrive?"

"They've covered a great distance already. It won't be much longer now."

She raised her head to look out over his head, hoping to catch some glimpse of those she'd left behind. The scent of his hair blew against her face. It wasn't an altogether unpleasant scent. It smelled of the forest and the damp places underground. The fragrance of soil and flowers, spice berries and fresh leaves, tricked her mind into believing her feet remained planted firmly on the ground so far below. Her aching fear subsided and she breathed deep.

If he heard her, or noticed in any way, he said nothing. He scanned the ground ahead as she knew she should be doing.

She closed her eyes again, but this time not out of fear. Her blade hummed softly, just as it had while laying at her father's side. She listened for the whisper, but nothing came.

"Was it you?" she asked.

"Many talents have I, Princess, but mind reading is not one of them."

"Were you the one who whispered to me through the blade. It is a part of you, is it not?"

He grumbled softly and she didn't know what to make of it. "I did call for you. I knew you were not safe."

"I don't understand." Elery frowned.

"She feels the blade as well. She knows I would not give it to just anyone. Do you think your kingdom was attacked by chance? Do you think they fled because they were frightened?"

Elery didn't understand why they'd fled. It was a tactic she'd never seen; something which made no sense to her.

"Celestine knew you would take the blade. She knew you would pursue me. It wasn't her intention to kill your entire kingdom. What reason would you have to ask the Duke for aid if she had?"

"And by asking I weakened his forces and left them open to attack." She closed her eyes again and her brows pulled together, wrinkling the flesh between them. "I did just as she expected."

"Celestine is a cunning creature. When I felt your father's life dwindle I called for you."

"You always intended to come with me."