33. The Traveler From The Depths*

Elery took in the vista of the runic academy with wide eyes and she breathed out a soft gasp of wonder. The splendor of the architecture rivaled that of her own home, even before the attack left it crippled. The stone-and-wood building rose high above the other structures. The tallest spires disappeared into the thick, white clouds.

They weren't the pearly-gleam of her castle walls but they were magnificent nonetheless.

"The whole of the kingdom must attend this academy," Isandel said as he took a step forward. "Surely this much space is not necessary."

"Seryn from all over Leria come to learn here. There are no other runic schools." She walked forward, up the path lined with green and blue stones and intricately-shaped topiary. The shimmering white stones of the pathway clicked under their heels as they approached the arching doorway at the end of the lane.

Elery pressed her hands against the rough-grained wooden door and pushed. The haunting creak of the metal hinges sounded as if they hadn't been oiled properly in centuries.

The vestibule that greeted them was empty of life. Only three-legged tables along the walls, each holding a vase full of brightly-colored flowers, occupied the space. Portraits of the many prolific students who graduated from the academy hung on the walls with the occasional landscape painting interrupting the sea of still faces around them.

Jesset walked down the curved staircase leading to the upper level and flushed when she saw Isandel. "I didn't expect to see you here, Princess."

"Likewise," Elery replied. "What brings you here?"

"Reconnecting with an old professor," she said. "He will retire soon; I wanted to visit before he moved away." She walked down the last few stairs and stood at the bottom of the twisted, vine-shaped banister. "Are you here to tour the academy?"

"With little else to do during my wait while the king musters the army, I thought it might be prudent to learn more about things I've little knowledge of already. Runic powers happens to fall in this category." She looked around the room, her gaze following the beautiful, curved beams that ran up to meet the gilded ceiling. The golden floral motif set into it sprawled the length and breadth of the ceiling. It gave way only to the circular glass skylight on the second floor.

"The architecture is breathtaking, is it not? The masons and artisans of old had such beautiful taste." Jesset walked over and took her hand. "Come, I will show you around." She glared at Isandel. "And him as well, if he must join us."

"He won't behave poorly again," Elery replied.

"On my word," Isandel purred.

Jesset twisted her mouth to the side with a soft huff. She turned and led the way down the hall, releasing Elery's hand.

The wide corridor had doors on each side, most closed. She looked in one, watching a group of students taking notes from a large green board in front of the class.

"Might there be a library I could peruse?" Elery asked.

"Of course." She turned down a side hall to the west wing of the academy and led her past endless doors into classrooms. Some doors were open wide, giving her brief glimpses into the class life of the many fresh-faced seryn. The classes seemed no different from her own schooling with the children of the castle servants.

"Perhaps you can explain in greater detail the things I'm bound not to understand." Elery smiled. "I pride myself on being learned, but on subjects like this I am woefully ignorant."

Jesset patted Elery's back, "Ignorance is an easily-remedied ailment, Princess." She jogged ahead to the large double doors at the end of the hall and grasped both ringed handles. "Aye, and this is the best place to find the cure." She pulled and the doors opened soundlessly to reveal the massive library that lay within.