12. Down The Rabbit Hole Part 1*

The density of the red flecks changed as Elery and Dakkan walked. They grew more prominent, revealing the most commonly-used paths through twisting, seemingly endless tunnels of stone and dirt. Gradually, shimmering crystals of all color became visible in the walls. The scent of stale water faded, replaced with clean water from a running underground stream in a large cavern ahead.

Elery rushed forward and knelt beside it to take a drink. The damp cave sucked the moisture from her body and the endless running and walking did little to conserve water or energy. Dakkan joined her, scooping water to his mouth with both large hands.

"Are the crystals on the wall like those you saw?" she asked.

"Yes. Exactly the same." He stood and sniffed. "I smell the others."

She leaped to her feet. "Where?"

He ran and she followed, wading through the water that came up to mid-thigh and soaked her clothing beneath the armor.

At the mouth of a new tunnel Elery paused. The blade in her hand shimmered brighter, producing an audible hum which lit the scale shards embedded in the stone around them. The scale shards pulsed like a heartbeat—a beat she could feel in the hilt of the sword, as if she held her hand to the dragon's very chest.

Running again, her boots pounding against the stone and dirt, she squinted to catch sight of what might lie ahead. "Cylphi? Zethir, Taelin, someone answer—"

With her eyes fixed on what was in front of her she missed what was below. Her foot moved forward but found only air. Too late to pull back, her momentum carrying her forward, she pitched over the edge into the wide crack.

Dakkan dropped after her and twisted his back, angling to fall head-first. He reached for her. She extended her free hand to grasp for him. Her other hand was busy attempting to sheathe her blade.

His claws slipped against her fingertips, leaving shallow scratches on her exposed flesh. Then, after multiple attempts to grasp her, he bunched his legs and kicked against the wall to propel himself just a little faster.

She tucked the blade into the scabbard at her side as he tackled her.

He twisted his body and his back slammed into the opposite wall, absorbing the force of an impact that would have killed a seryn. He growled and tucked his body while both arms held Elery firmly against his chest. His head rested atop hers; his musk overwhelmed the scent of freshly dug dirt and dampness as he seemed intent to fold her body into his.

Below, the crevasse gradually illuminated. Dakkan lifted his head briefly, relieving some pressure from her neck, and allowed her to view her surroundings as well.

Light shone from crystals all around the cavern below them—a cavern far larger than any she'd found so far. Bones and treasures littered the floor with more shoved together in piles against the wall. It all came into view as they sped toward the floor with naught but rock in sight to soften their fall.

Vines burst from cracks in the walls and snagged the pair, slowing their descent before dropping them gently to the floor.

Cylphi and the others lay in the center of the cave, resting on a bedding of leaves and flowers. Elery pulled away from Dakkan and raced to them. She looked them each over for any signs of harm.

"Welcome to my home," Isandel spoke. He sat high on a group of woven vines that dangled from the ceiling.

Elery looked up at the man. "I am here to—"

Isandel laughed. "I know why you're here, child. Don't be droll. You wish to form a pact." He tilted his head and kicked his legs, swinging on the vines like a child. "You must know you aren't the first. After all, you follow in your father's footsteps. Of course, he did not have my sword to lead him to this place."