70. One Night*

Molner and molner-sized dragons formed a line from the entrance and stretched back into the distance. Each held a pack strapped to its side, with a few dragons carrying two or three. Gaidel and his brothers stood among them in their dragon form, unknown to the Suthri people who peered from their windows and doorways. Jesset held the reins of a crimson molner to Elery's left, while Erwell stood beside a dragon several paces back. He'd taken up the task of pairing with a dragon, gaining an elegant black spear as a reward.

Many onlookers wept as the line began to move. No one rode the molner or dragons. A desperate attempt to keep them from becoming too burdened. Instead they walked beside the creatures, holding their reins tight and eyes forward, a solemn expression masking whatever fears they might have had.

Vydel and Dakkan walked to Elery's left and right, close enough to defend against whatever she might not immediately see, while Isandel and Nyph walked behind her. Celestine's forces were not the only threat she needed to be mindful of with Loix and his group among them, a fact she was determined to keep in mind until they were rid of him.

Days of travel through the chilled tunnels gave Elery more than enough time to expand her casting knowledge. She learned from the other casters through words and explanation, and through practice with Isandel and Misani. Each night she fell asleep beside the dragon she'd come to love and the allies who'd come to trust in her path, and by the time reached the end of the crumbled tunnel she felt more prepared than ever.

The dragons cleared the tunnel and Elery stepped out into the light. Her breath puffed out in a thick, white cloud as she exhaled a sigh of relief. "As ruined as it is, by the land and sea I say Andethayn is more beautiful each time I see it."

"One would think that of even the barren lands with so much time underground," Jesset said. "But we cannot rest." She turned and called back, "Relay! Dragon-warriors, sweep the city! Search for any deadwalkers and slay them where they stand. I want this city secure!"

"Sweep the city!" the nearest man called back.

"Sweep the city!" More voices joined. They were soon reduced to echoes from the mouth of the tunnel.

"All casters in need of restoration find the nearest auraclade," Gaidel said as he transformed to his seryn form.

Just as before, the soldiers relayed the message back and a full sweep of the city preceded a moment's rest. The city could barely hold the bulk of their forces. Every room in the manor was packed and all non-damaged homes and buildings served to put up lycar and seryn while the dragons made camp outside the ruined gate. Everyone, Elery included, chose a place to sleep before tending to various personal needs. Highest on the list was bathing, something she looked forward to greatly.

The lack of enemy occupation left dual feelings of relief and paranoia that refused to ebb even in the comfort of a warm bath. Without servants to handle all of the small affairs such as heating water and fixing meals, the group was left to handle it all themselves. Meals were not an issue. They still had rations enough to last the journey with some to spare. Heating the water, however, was another matter.

Fire casters were spread thin at every available bathing spot, running themselves ragged as they heated the water fed into the bath by water casters. Many areas around the bathing spots were conspicuously lacking snow, and those bare circles were sure to grow ever wider as more was melted and drawn in to provide bathwater. When last she'd peered out the window before stepping into the bath they were visible even from a distance.

The door to Erwell's bathing chambers opened and Vydel walked in with Jesset close behind. The two looked anxious of each other, and while Jesset's wariness was understandable, Vydel's was not. Elery chose to remain mute on the subject, instead lifting a bucket and tilting her head back to rinse herbal soap from her hair. "What is the condition of our group?"