5. Though The Moons Drift...*

The sister moons were high, separated by their opposing paths, when the two reached Andethayn. The molner staggered along, led by their riders who'd taken pity and dismounted to ease their burden.

The port city glimmered in the dark. Lanterns cast their glow over streets and vendors, who remained open even at such a late hour. They walked past dragon hair merchants and changeling traders and approached the public stables. The molner strained against their leads at the scent of food and promise of a place to lay down.

"Well met," a young man said as they approached. He sat on a pile of aspis grass, half dozing.

"Well met," Elery replied. "We wish to shelter our steeds for the night."

"One hundred fleut for each." He stretched and slid down the golden mound of grass, then shook some from his clothing before walking over. "That includes food and water. Grooming is an extra twenty."

Elery pulled her bag from Ishthemir's side, retrieved a satchel, and pulled a handful of russet coins from it. She held them out.

"Aren't you going to count, M'lady?" he asked.

"No need, it's more than enough. Keep the extra."

A little more awake now, he smiled and rubbed one of his coiled pink horns. "We are well met indeed." He took the coins, separating out his share before tossing the rest in the payment bin near the grass mound.

Cylphi grabbed her own belongings and slung the pack over her shoulder. The stable boy tended to the steeds as she left with Elery. "Is it wise to throw fleut around like that? What if we run out? That pouch looks light as it is."

"I have more," Elery said. "I've brought treasures to sell, if need be." She wound the strap of the fleut pouch around a loop in her belt as they walked. "I'm not concerned."

"Treasures? You mean from the royal vault?" Cylphi hurried a few steps ahead and turned to face her. "Wait a moment, you can't sell those! Those are treasures of the kingdom!"

"We will have no kingdom to go back to if we fail," Elery said. She didn't stop, forcing Cylphi to walk backward through the lamp-lit stone street. "Treasures can be won and hoarded. Leria has no shortage of shiny baubles. Our kingdom can do without a few for the sake of retaliation."

"Have you even thought this through?" Cylphi stopped, held out her hands, and caught Elery by the shoulders as she stepped close. "What will this accomplish? You cannot bring the dead back."

"But I can prevent more from falling to those savages," Elery said. "Don't you understand? They've taken our measure. Bethgardel has left us defenseless and broken. They chose this path when they attacked our home."

"But—"

"Didn't you say you wanted revenge? They killed your father! Will you stand by and do nothing?"

"I just don't see how we can stand against an entire army, even with a so-called dragon god at our side!" Cylphi let her go and clenched her fists. "Of course I want to see them pay, but is this the right way? I joined you out of haste and emotion, but I've been thinking and I don't—"

"Cylphi." Elery spoke firmly and her friend fell silent. "I will not turn back. I don't care what I must sell. I will trade my gems, my clothes, my very soul itself. With or without help, I will see them dead."

Cylphi's bottom lip trembled and she turned away to walk down another street.

When she was out of sight Elery scuffed her leather-soled boot against the cobblestone pathway and headed in the opposite direction. She wandered, aimless, until she found a large tavern and inn. With a heavy sigh she walked in and sat down at one of the tables and placed her pack on the floor between her chair and the wall.