34. Ice Queen*

The young man escorted Elery and Isandel from the library as Jesset bid farewell and settled at a table with a few choice tomes.

Doors on either side of the hall all opened and students filtered out as they made their way toward the vestibule. The seryn moved around them in a sea of bodies, shuffling from one room to another. Chatter filled the halls and brought life to the once-quiet space.

Isandel kept his tail tucked against his back and his wings folded tight. It did little good to prevent students from jostling past him. Elery watched him and did her best to hide a smirk. Watching him step from side to side, forced to move for the students whose path would not be altered, brought some modicum of amusement for reasons she couldn't quite place. It was almost a shame when they exited the academy and cleared the crush of bodies.

The path back to the castle was busy with evening commuters. The smells from the delicatessen wafted down the street to mask the scent of laborers' sweat and molner musk. She uttered a soft groan without much thought to restrain herself and her guide turned.

"What ails you, M'lady?"

"I'd passed this shop some time ago," she said with what calm and grace she could muster. Her face lit with a blush. "Unfortunately I have no money. I only now remember the braised gerlin. If I had but a single scrap to sell—"

"Please, M'lady, trouble yourself no further with such thoughts. The king wishes your stay to be comfortable. You need only ask and any food or comfort you desire will be provided."

"I would not impose on my hosts," she said. "It is a passing fancy."

"But one so easily sated," the man replied. "If you've any desires, bring them to our attention. We will do our best to accommodate you."

"You have my gratitude. I only hope to repay it with victory." She resisted the urge to glance at the open doors, the portal to a treasure trove of delectable meats and salads, as she passed them. Her stomach rumbled but she ignored her hunger in favor of carrying out far more important matters.

Her gaze drifted to Isandel instead, who'd fallen unusually quiet. His focus was set fully on the castle ahead, unwavering even as several lovely young women crossed their path. He lagged behind several steps, not lifting his sights from the bright stone walls for a moment. His pupils were thin. For a moment she distinctly heard a soft growl from deep in his chest.

His actions, though baffling, seemed nothing less than his usual enigmatic behavior. Even so he set her on edge. It was as though he sensed something within the castle that angered him.

Or worse...frightened him.

She would have liked to question him, but in the presence of one of the King's men it seemed a foolish idea. Instead she tried to lay it aside and turned her focus back to the castle. Her mind raced. What could draw such a reaction from the creature she'd come to know as relatively calm and fearless?

The guide led her through the castle to a room on the third floor. The birds sang behind the silver bars of a large cage on the east wall, basking in the golden evening sun that shone in to warm a section of the room. The dark wood desk nearby sat waiting with quill and paper ready. A few taps of rain knocked against the window and Elery frowned. "It seems as if we will not be rid of the rain more than a few days at a time."

"Tis that time of the year, M'lady," the guide said. "Shall I leave you, or would you prefer I remain?"

"I'll only be a moment," she said. Her boots clapped against the floor as she walked to the desk and sat. She pulled a small slip of paper no larger than her hand from under the glimmering amber paperweight which secured them, opened the inkwell, and dipped in the quill.

Cylphi,

Know that I have made my way safely to Suthri and have received King Gaidel's aid. Though there will be a delay, we shall muster in due time. I shall leave the moment I receive word from you that you've reached Ildaugh. Until then, I bide my time. I've learned much and we shall speak of it when we are together again. Be safe, my friend, and stay strong. I will be with you again very soon.

Elery

The small canister of message tubes sat nearby and she retrieved one, rolling the paper to fit in the small pipe. The guide walked forward and took it then, affixing it to the leg of a bird and bringing it to the window to release it with the whispered words, "Ildaugh Pass."

Her mind drifted to the many things she had learned in the academy library as the messenger bird fluttered away. She was no closer to understanding the nature of the beast that laid waste to the Andethayn wall. If anything, the truth felt further away.

She followed a servant to a room set aside for her and with a sigh she sat at the window and rested her head on her arms. Her reflection stared back at her, amber eyes searching her face as she searched the world beyond the glass pane. The city seemed so calm—so untouched by the brewing conflict.

Though she knew not where he stood, she knew Isandel was close by only because of the soft sounds of his tail thumping and scraping the floor. "What has you bothered, dragon?"

"A great many things, Princess." His voice was stiff, almost curt.

She frowned. "Your mood changes like the tide."

"And twice as frequent," he replied. He took a breath, then released it slowly. "Mind me not, I am restless. There are certain things about this place I am ill at ease to tolerate, yet tolerate them I must. So...what shall we do now that we are forced to wait?" Isandel asked.

Elery turned to glance at him from the corner of her eye. He sat on the bed, his tail thumping against the floor in a show of what she took to be impatience. "I intend to rest. I've no idea what you shall do. No doubt whore yourself out at the tavern if I give you but a little room on your leash."

"Do I sense jealousy?"

"You sense incredulity," she replied. "How you could waste time on such nonsense is beyond my understanding. Have you no sense of responsibility?"

"Have you no concept of 'relaxation'? Carrying so much tension is not good for you, Princess. Perhaps you would do well to find a partner for the night." He walked over and ran a finger along her broken horn. "I'd more than happily fill that role for you."

She spun and slapped his hand away. "Take your honeyed words elsewhere. In fact, take your entire personage elsewhere. You have my permission to go wherever you like."

"I decline."

She frowned. "Excuse me?"

"We've no idea what dangers may arise while we wait. For all we know the remaining soldiers could bring trouble." He tilted his head and smirked. "You wouldn't want me drunk and preoccupied with some pretty young seryn, now would you?"

"On the ship you hurried me along, complaining of my idleness. Now you encourage it?"

"Idleness cannot be helped for now. If it is inevitable you may as well enjoy yourself."

"I intend to stay only until I receive a reply from the others." She stood and smoothed her tunic. "The army can find their way to Ildaugh without me. I want to return there as quickly as possible. For now I will take much-needed rest." She pushed by him and rested back on the bed. "I'd appreciate it if you took up bedding elsewhere."

"You'd share your bed with Cylphi but not your own pact partner? Such a cold woman." He tilted his head as he turned to face her. The smile which played across his lips drew a shiver from her core. "I could heat you if you'd let me. What harm could come of it?"

She closed her eyes. "If you've energy to harass me, you have it to spare on reconnaissance. Keep watch over the city."

He chuckled. "Ice to the core. There are few who refuse my advances." The door creaked open. "I shall thaw you yet, M'lady, and it shall make for a grand game."