16

There was flames and soldiers everywhere. People were running, being shot at, or tied and hauled away. I turn to see a man I had never seen before. He had very short cropped hair and blue eyes. He smiled sinisterly at me. Dread fills my being and my blood runs cold. I turn to see my ancestor facing me. 

“Run.” was the only word that he said. 

I woke up, gasping and sitting up on my bed. I put my hand on my sternum and took a deep breath. What was that? I notice that Bree is deep asleep, Aaron and Dany are on the same bed, curled up together and snoring. Norrin is halfway off the bed. Six is wide awake, eyes bloodshot and he looked drained. He looks back at me. 

“You okay?” he asked. 

“I’m...not.” I say. Come on, Alma. Shut up. No one cares. Except your friends. Would I even count him as a friend? I mean, he did try to kill me but I guess we’re even now that I kicked his ass and tried to do the same. Also I did kind of say too much about myself earlier. 

“You want to talk about it?” he asked. 

“I saw a vision. It was pretty much death and destruction and a man I had never seen before.” I say. “He was smiling at me in this creepy way and my ancestor told me to run.” 

“Yikes.” Six said. 

“And what’s got you awake and red eyed?” I asked. 

“It was a memory, I think,” he said. He got up to face me. I got up and sat besides him. 

“What was the memory?” I ask. 

“I was with a group. We were all in the military, I think. We were in a building and someone was talking to us. We were joking around and laughing.” Six said. “And then, we got attacked. We were fighting them and a bomb went off.” 

“Yikes, that’s rough.” I said. 

“Yeah, it was.” he said. He let out a sigh. “I’m going back to trying to sleep.”

I nodded. “Good luck, I guess.” I ended up sleeping for another two hours. I decided to go train in the gym when I noticed that Aaron, Dany, and Six were gone. I headed off to the gym myself and passed Mirelle again. 

“Morning.” she said. 

“Morning.” Mirelle said. “I’m kind of surprised that you guys are accepting soldier boy in.” 

“Eh, I guess he’s growing on us. Any news?”

“Your mother has been begging Maddie to let you two talk in private.” Mirelle said. “Maddie has said no.” 

“That’s a relief.” I reply. “Do you know where Six and the others are by chance?” 

“Yeah, in the training hall, actually.” she said. “I didn’t know he was the fire one.” 

“He is. It shocks us too. You know, I wonder what tribe he’s from.” I say. 

“Me too.” Mirelle said. “Anyway, I’ll see you around. I have a doctor’s appointment at ten.” 

“See ya.” I continue to the gym where Aaron and Six were training. Aaron was throwing metal objects Six’s way and he managed to melt them instantly. 

“Damn, you’re getting stronger.” Dany threw a ball of energy at him. He managed to dodge it. 

"Maybe so." He said. He managed to dodge another ball again. 

I noticed he was smiling. He has a cute smile. He turned his head and then he got hit by an energy ball. Ouch. 

"Caught you off guard, huh?" Aaron had a big smirk on his face. That's the first time he's smiled since the massacre. 

"I guess." Six got back up, a bruise on his face. "That hurts though." He rubbed the side of his face. 

I walk up to him. This feels awkward. 

"Oh, hey, Alma." He replied. 

"Hey." I said. 

"You saw that, didn't you?" He asked, scratching the back of his neck. 

"I did, actually." 

"That was embarassing." 

"No, it happens." I giggle. "Its happened to me before." 

Six looks back at Dany and Aaron who are now training with each other. 

"I think I've hard enough training for today." He said. 

"Want to walk around the compound?" I asked. 

"Sure." Six replies. We leave the group. 

"I wonder where Norrin and Bree are at." I say. 

"Norrin got maintenence duty today, I think." Six said. 

"Yikes, that sucks." I say. 

"Bree is on kitchen duty." Six replied. "Speaking of which, I enjoyed cooking with you." 

"Did you?" I ask, my face turning red. 

"Yeah. I think that's the most relaxed I've been in a while. As far as I can remember."

"So do you remember how you ended up like this?" I ask. 

"Somewhat.." Six looked away and back at me. "It was that explosion. I think Michael had something to do with it." 

"What makes you say that?" I ask. 

"I was fucked up. There were people trying to save me. I was too hurt to do anything but I remember him standing over me and taking about…..something about an experiment…" Six said. "And the nurses were talking about how I was the sole survivor of what happened. And how he didn't necessarily want me because I was native."

"Six, I was in an explosion too. Thats how I got my abilities." 

"Really?" He said. 

"Yeah, it was a nightmare." I say. "I think they were looking for members of the BLM movement so they started bombing our neighborhood because that's where a lot of rebel leaders hid. Many people died that day." 

"Including you and me." He said. "Remember how I asked you guys if you had seen the ancestral lands too?" 

"Yeah, I do. That was it, wasn't it?" I asked. "We were all in that same bombing. So being near death is what triggered our abilities. But then why didn't you discover yours at the same time?" 

"I don't know…..they didn't activate until we crashed. And you were still near death." I say. "Thats interesting." 

And then the sirens go off.