39

Author's Note: Hey, it's Mari here! I had written these two years ago but I never published them because I didn't know if they fit. But seeing that I've brought closure to most of my characters, I figured my original children deserved it too. Enjoy <3 

Nine months later.......

Aaron stared at the line of saguaros that was growing in the distance. There was a giant statue with the names of their deceased loved ones carved into it, along with O'odam carvings engraved into the sides. He stared as the sun rose above the canyons. The door opened up behind him. It was Dany carrying two trays of breakfast.

"Morning, sweetheart." Dany said. She stared at the sunrise.

"It's so nice to finally be free." Aaron said. "It looks like the saguros are doing pretty good."

"I bet they are. Someday, our grandkids will see them as tall as you remember them." Dany said. "How's the mine sealing going?"

"Really good, actually." Aaron said. "They're about to seal the last one off. I know the ancestors must be proud."

"Yeah, I bet." Dany said. "You know, the remaining Apache wanted me to visit and talk about protecting the land with the kids. I was wondering if you wanted to come with me to my town to do it."

"I would love to. I guess I'll leave the rest of the replanting to Lacey and Mom." He kissed her in the head. Man, he loved that girl.

**************************************************************************************

Lake Waccamaw had never looked more beautiful to Norrin. They had lost some of their homeland to the ocean but they had managed to save the rest of it. They smiled as their kin was having lunch around it. They fished, kids played around and there was people tanning.

"It's nice to be back, isn't it?" Mirelle asked him.

"It is. What about you, Mirelle?" They asked.

"I'll go eventually. I still have stuff to deal with." She stared at the lake.

"What about Maddie?" They said.

"She went to Finland to help the Sami get their land back. She couldn't return home after everything that happened here. She lost everyone." Mirelle said. "The only survivors of my family are my aunt and her family. But I don't want to go back to them yet."

"I'm so sorry. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here. Were also trying to get a Native therapist here to help us." He said. "You know you can stay for a while if you need to."

"Thank you, Norrin." She said. "I appreciate it. If you don't mind me asking, did you ever find anyone else?"

"Family? No. I was only child on my mom's, she was a foster kid, and Dad's probably were New State supporters." Norrin sighed. "And you know my friend group dispersed. Alma couldn't handle saying here either."

"I know. Where's Bree and her folk by the way?" He asked.

Bree and her family got out of a car. Bree was holding a laptop and smiling.

"Yo, Alma went into labor when she was video chatting with us last night." Bree said. "And she texted me to tell us she would start a chat when they got settled after the baby's birth. Also Aaron and Dany are on the line!"

"Wooo!" Norrin said.

********************************************************************************

"Alright, sweetie, I'm going to need you to hold your breath and give a strong push." The midwife said.

Alma led her breath in and made a constipated face.

"Good, good, another push!"

Alma gave another one.

"Another push." She said.

"Holy fucking shit, that burns!" Alma said.

"Want it to stop burning? Push!"

"I hate you all." Alma whined as she gave another one.

"One more push, Alma! One more!" She said.

Alma pushed and gave out a holler. A pink little baby emerged. They put him on Alma's chest and rubbed the baby clean. The baby started to cry. He cuddled up to Alma. Duane had tears in his eyes. It was a baby. A new beginning of life. His son. The son that he had grown to love. Their son they would raise in her homeland.

"Alright, we need to deliver the placenta now." The midwife said. Alma sighed and pushed as the doctor pulled out a gross red thing that looked like it had a pale tree in between it. Yuck. She threw it in a bag and started to clean up Alma with water and some rags. After that, she watched the sheets under Alma and the women took them outside. The midwife smiled at them and gently lifted the baby from Alma.

"He's a handsome little one." The midwife put a hat on his head and wrapped him in a blanket. "What are you naming him?"

"Ummmm..." Alma said. "What do you think, Duane?"

"Dominic." He said. "Dominic Kilcher."

Alma smiled. "What do you think, buddy?" The baby snuggled closer to her.

"He's going to liberate this land too." She said. "I got the perfect Purhe name for him too."

"What is it?"

"Aramen. It means guardian of the waters. Nanita finally taught me Purhe." She said.

"I love it." Duane looked at the baby. He had his father's curls and looked like just like him. Alma ended up putting him in the bassinet and wrapping him in thick blankets. She fell asleep.

Duane stared at the baby.

"Hi, buddy, it's your daddy." He said, smiling at him. "You're going to be so handsome when you grow up. I'm so glad to finally see the little face of the baby kicking me for five months straight." The baby grabbed his finger.

"And you'll have fun planting crops and going to do stuff with your aunts and uncles. I can't wait for you to meet your aunt Charlie, your grandpa Patrick, your aunt Dany, your uncle Aaron, your aunt Bree, and your cousin Norrin..." he said. The baby tried to put his finger in his mouth.

Duane smiled and looked over at Alma. She was sound asleep. He then looked at the baby. He didn't think he could love two people this much. Besides his own family. He then stared at their phones. They were ringing. It was their friends. He turned the video chat option on. There was Aaron and Dany in a hotel room. There was Norrin, Bree, and Mirelle in an outside area.

"Hey guys." He said.