35

Three weeks later.....

They were sitting in the conference room, watching news as other surviving members of the multiple resistance factions came in. The Black Native, the Women of the Future, the Socialist Leadership, the Fathers of Democracy, and other groups came in wearing shirts with their symbols.

Alma looked beautiful, wearing silver earrings and a black dress that fit loosely around her.

Saiah wore a black dress as well. There were cameras everywhere, including one broadcasting their decisions. They finally got their mess together and everyone sat down.

"It has been two weeks since the New State government was toppled. As we start to work on rebuilding and finding out the extent of the damage caused by them, we will make major decisions that will change our paths forever. Many have suggested multiple ideas for the rebuilding and improvement of the former United States government. In order to make sure we have the voice of the people, we invited survivors, resistance leaders, and victims of the New State to speak for them." Saiah said. "First thing is the territories of the United States. We will no longer hold any control over Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, or any territory once held by the States. They will be given back to their citizens."

Other groups cheered. The ILM and the BNC cheered as well.

"Second of all, we seized all assets of the New State and their leaders, including various billionaires who funded its inner workings. All the monetary assets will be distributed to the victims and families as reparations for all the harm caused by the New States. As for the properties of the New State, they will be turned into housing for those displaced by the genocide." She said. "The ones that cannot be converted will be sold and the profits will go into community health centers, recreational areas, and hospitals."

"We have also decided for as long as we have the assets, we will be providing free medical check ups and dental work for the people." Saiah said. Everyone cheered. Not fully free healthcare, but it's a start.

She cleared her throat and shuffled papers.

"We are also planning on erecting a memorial where the Crystal Manor was in memory of those who lost their lives fighting for their freedom and the freedom of all. We will also be doing something that should of been done ages ago." She took a deep breath. "We're giving land back."

All of the Native people in the room cheered and hollered. I hug and kiss Duane. Dany and Aaron kiss as well. Norrin and Dany hug.

Some of the people grumbled.

"And what will happen to us?" A white woman in another group said.

"You guys can live in the land." Norrin said. "We're not going to kick you out. We just survived something horrible and wouldn't want to put you through that."

"So what will happen to the land?" The woman said.

"We're going to replant the forest, purify the water, and reintroduce native species. That is what we have always done and will continue to do." Alma said.

"Oh. Saving the environment, huh? That's good." She said.

Saiah sighed. "Like Norrin Runner said, you are allowed to stay in the land and live life as before. However, you will be considered under tribal jurisdiction and subject to the rules of their land."

After more speeches, they finally left. They left to go into a courtyard where Aaron was lighting a blunt.

"What?" he says as they look at him.

"You better share." Alma put her hands on her hips. "Also where did you find weed in all this chaos?"

"Someone had some," he said. "It's all I'm saying." He smoked a bit and passed it on to Dany. She twirled in her hands and they turned to see a bulldozer tearing the old Crystal Manor apart. Mirelle and Maddie came out as well.

"Seems Saiah is doing good on her promises." Mirelle said. "Also what are you guys going to do now?"

"I'm going back to Mexico. Or better said, we are." Alma squeezed Duane's hand tightly. "And you guys?"

"We're going to replant our sacred saguros and get rid of all the pipeline stuff they put in our land." Aaron said. "Also seal off the mines."

"I put my family's names in the missing persons list. I hope they respond. Now that social media and those lists are being published, I hope I hear something back." Bree said.

"Well some other Lumbees and I want to start a commune on our land for native orphans." Norrin said. "You're welcome to join if you don't hear anything."

"Thanks." Bree said.

"I got elected by the Freedmen into the elder council. I'll be doing that." Mirelle said.

"We decided to open up a resource center for our youth." Maddie said. "Figured I'd help them the way we helped all of you. Also there's a service tomorrow for our deceased and there'll be a celebration to honor their lives afterwards. All the people are going to be there."

"Oh, okay." Alma said. "I have some ideas for my mother's service."

Duane rubbed her back.

"You're free to do as you please." Maddie said. "It'll be at 11 am. Burial at 1pm."

"Alright, thank you." Duane said. "Are you guys going?"

"Yeah, we are." Aaron said. "I have a few people we need to mourn."

"Same here." Norrin said.

"Yeah, we do. Don't we, Alma?" Dany said.

She nodded. "I have to find things."

He sighed. "We do." He squeezed Alma's hand and planted a kiss on her hand. She lay her head on his chest.

"This is going to be tough." she said.

"It is." Aaron said. "But we got this. One day at a time."

Alma nodded, tearing up again.

"Did they ever find Lana's body in all that mess?" Alma asked.

"As far as I know, they did. Miller wanted to cremate her but wanted your permission."

Alma huffed. "That'll make taking her to Mexico easier." She was trying to laugh but couldn't. Slowly, everyone started a group hug. He held her the closest, not wanting her to feel alone.