24

I was summoned to Michael's office after the visit. He looked annoyed at me.

"Alma, I want to discuss something with you." He said.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I want you to understand where I'm coming from. You are my daughter, my legacy. When I die, my bloodline will continue via you."

"What if I never want to have kids?"

"You'll change your mind."

"But I'm native." I am going to have to give this one last chance. We have to stay alive in order to protect our people.

"You are. Luckily whenever I pick the right match for you, we can work on trying to pass as much of your white genes to your children as possible." He said. I wanted to throw up. He was going to try to scrub my kids free of their heritage.

"Okay." I say as neutrally as possible. I dig my nails into my palm.

"I want you to be my heir. Jennifer will control everything, of course but the true rulers will live through you." He said.

"Okay, before you detail your plan for the rest of my life, who is Jennifer? And what does she do exactly?" I ask.

"She is my speaker and the head of our organization." He said. "My equal. She designed the plans for our government and our country. We are indebted to her."

"Okay. So she designed that town you took me to?"

"Yes."

I sighed. "What's your endgame, Michael? A world full of white people?"

"Smart girl." he said. "In my new world, only the strongest will survive. And we are the strongest race."

I really want to say something smart. Like my ancestors had to teach you how to bathe. Or that's rich coming from the people who nearly wiped themselves out over keeping their shit too close to them. I have to hold my tongue through.

"So you're trying to start a Fourth Reich." I say.

"Of course. And we are successful. We have sent armies to Canada and Mexico already." he said. "We will gain more living space for our people and lots of people for the workforce."

I felt a cold sweat. My family is in Mexico. If he invades and conquers Mexico, he will find them. Harm them. Probably figure out it's my family. Use them as leverage. That cannot happen. I also think of my tribe and all the other tribes in both countries. We have to save them.

"Okay. I accept being your heir. With two conditions." I say.

"And what would those be?" he asked.

"First of all, my friends and mother stay alive. Second of all, that Six isn't harmed either."

Michael smiled. "You're rather fond of him, aren't you? But he is state property, we decide what is done to him. As for your treacherous friends and your mother, I can arrange for life in prison for them."

"That's acceptable. Except Six is a human being too." I felt awkward calling him Six. I'm sure Michael knows his real name is Duane but I would rather him not know how much Six remembers.

"He's beneath us. But he has provided us with lots of information and ideas for alternating our future soldiers. For starters, we're going to start programming loyalty into them." he said. "And of course, they will have no emotions."

I sigh.

"You are dismissed," he said. I left his office, feeling angry. I go to the yard where everyone is outside. They're drawing in the dirt.

"Alma!" Dany says. "Are you ok?"

"I'm fine. We did it." I say. "Now we have to discuss what to do next."

"Ok." Dany says in a hushed whisper. "What's his endgame?"

"White power. You know the deal." I say. "He's planning on invading Mexico and Canada."

"That's insane." Aaron said. "But not surprising."

"We have to stop him before he is successful." I say. "He's also planning on making more super soldiers with less humanity."

"That's terrifying." Norrin says. "We can't let that happen. We need to rally people."

I nod. "Michael has agreed to let you guys live but he's putting you guys in the main prison. I know we have allies there. I heard from the grapevine Madeline and Mirelle are there. If we can reunite with them, we can find more allies."

"Good idea." Norrin said.

"Time's up, back to your cells!" Guards walk towards us.

"I love you all." I say.

"We love you too, Alma." Dany said. I make my way inside and try to find Duane. He's outside of a conference room. He looks like he's been crying.

"Alma." he said, smiling.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I ask.

"I just met my father and sister again." he said. "And the rest of my family is dead."

"I'm so sorry, Duane." I say.

"It's fine, I guess. I just..." he sighs. "I should have never left."

"Duane, no one expected all of this to happen. I'm sure when you left your family, you never thought it would happen."

"I know that, Alma. I can't help but feel guilty about it." he said. "I think about it everyday. I blame myself for it. Now Michael has them here, as leverage for me to listen to his commands."

I put my hand on his shoulder.

"It's not your fault. Stop trying to put the blame on yourself for something you're not guilty of." I say. "You're only human."

"I know." he hugs me. I hug him back, smoothing his back.

I hear someone clear their throat behind us. It's Jennfier. She looks visibly disgusted.

"Six, we have somewhere for you to go. I'd appreciate it if you stopped with the PDA and followed us." she said. I want to slap her.

"Sure, whatever." Six said. "I'll see you later, Alma."

"See ya." I say, walking away. I wonder where they are taking him. I go to my room and find a bear, boutique of flowers and chocolate. It's from Michael. Of course, it is.