33

The helicopters got close and the rubble crumbled on Michael's dead body. They lowered down into a clear area. Duane hoped they didn't notice the bloody mess where Michael was at.Dr. Miller and three different people get out. 

"Are you alright? We got reports of riots everywhere." He asked. 

"We got reports that all of the New State officials are dead or on the run. We have a few specialized groups hunting them down. There's rumors of them hiding out in Canada." One of them said. She was a tall and skinny black woman. 

"We're…..fine." Maddie said. "Who are you by the way?" 

"I'm Saiah Thomas. I am the elected new president to the United States. This is the former president Harry Danvers and Vice President Ken Young." She said. She pointed to the other two, a short Asian man and a middle aged white man. 

"Wow." Mirelle said. 

"And who may you be?" Saiah asked us. 

"Mirelle Jennings. Black Native Coalition leader. Also Choctaw Freedmen." 

"Wow. We heard of you when the refugees started to pour in." Saiah said. 

"Madeline River." She said. "Anishinaabe and Ojiwbe. Leader of the Indigenous Liberation Movement." 

"Bree, Anishinaabe."

"Dany, Apache."

"Aaron, Tohono O'odam." 

"Alma, Purepecha."

"Norrin, Lumbee."

"Duane, Lumbee and Yoreme." 

Dr. Miller sighed. "Alright, any idea of Jennifer or Michael’s location?”

“They’re dead.” Duane said. 

“Dead?” Dr. Miller asked. “Why do I have the feeling that you did this?”

“We protect your own.” Mirelle said. 

“And because you protected our own, we cannot have a proper trial for them. You and the others will not have justice.” 

“Justice? And what justice would you have given us?” Alma said. “There is no justice that will ever compensate the suffering and deaths of our kin or everyone else that suffer because of them.” 

“That and the most you would have given them was a slap on the wrist, a nice room with a bed and three meals a day, something they deprived millions of us for years.” Duane said. 

Dr. Miller sighed. “How did you kill them?”

“Our lips are sealed.” Maddie said. Everyone else nodded. Saiah looked at Dr. Miller. 

“Of course, you wouldn’t understand that, Miller. And you never will.” she said. “They were killed by angry mobs. If I hear anything else, I will have you all court martialed.” 

Saiah stared at them.

"I'll call aid for you all." She took her phone out and dialed. Buses appeared a few minutes later and they got on. Alma sat next to him. He hoped that his father was still alive somewhere. Alma looked like everything was hitting her at once. He grabbed her hand, gently massaging it. She leaned against him, tearing up. 

They arrived at a hotel. The New State emblem was everywhere and there was a considerable amount of refugees in the lobby. They watched men and women in the black and grey New State uniforms get arrested and thrown in a bus. 

One tried to spit at Duane but the guard smashed his baton into his face. They were offered rooms. Duane took one with Alma and Charlie. 

"Are you okay?" He asked. 

"No. I-" She started sobbing. Duane hugged her, massaging her back. He let her cry it out. She finally calmed down. 

"I don't know how to feel. My mom, my grandfather, everything." She said. 

"I know that pain." Charlie looked at them.  "It never gets better, but it gets easier." 

Duane grieved his mother and siblings. He still didn't fully remember and at this rate, he wasn't sure he ever would. It hurt to have lost them but he wasn't sure it compared to Charlie or Alma's pain. But he stayed quiet. 

Alma sighed. "At least we're off the hook for murder. Not that killing that thing was really murder." 

"It wasn't. But you know how that goes. We'll never fully recover from this, anyway." Charlie said. "Seems like we're just meant to suffer."

"But we're here. We're still alive, mostly intact, and safe. For now. I think the ancestors are proud." Alma said. 

"They are." Charlie said. "What do you think will happen next?" 

Alma sighed and took a deep breath. "I don't know. Land back, maybe? Things will be like they used to? I'm not sure." 

"Lets pray to Creator that is the case." Charlie said. "We did just save a whole country." 

"Right?" Alma said. There was a crackling noise followed by a voice. "Attention to all the surviving rebel leaders and groups. Tomorrow there will be a meeting to discuss everything that will happen to the country from here on out at 9 am in the conference room. There will also be free breakfast, clothes, and extra food." They said. 

"Hell yeah!" Duane said. 

"Also Duane and Charlie Kilcher and Alma Hernandez, you are to report at the lobby in five minutes. Good day, everyone." The announcer finishes and the intercom clicks. 

"I wonder why." Duane said. 

"Me too." Alma said. "Let's go." 

They headed to the lobby. They saw a man covered in blood splatters and dirt. It was Patrick. 

"Dad!" Charlie runs up to him and hugs him. Duane gave him a hug and Alma stood near them. 

"You did what I told you to do without whining." He smiled, hugging them back. 

"I'm glad you're alive." He said. "Come over here." He motioned Alma over and he hugged her. 

"What happened?" Patrick asked. 

"We killed Michael. My mom died." Alma said. "I guess I'm a fucking orphan." She started to laugh nervously with tears in her eyes. 

"You're not an orphan. You got your friends, our child, and me. And the rest of your family is the one who might still be alive." He said. 

Alma sighed. "Maybe." Duane rubbed her back. 

"It's okay." He said. "You might be able to find out something about them soon."

Alma smiled and kissed him on the cheek. 

"Thanks." She said. He kissed her forehead. 

"Just don't do anything stupid until then." He said.

"I won't. I love you."

"I love you too."