38

I felt nothing but anxiety when the plant touched down in Morelia. There was a sprawling city beneath the plane and beautiful mountains around it. As we got our luggage and headed to the cab where the driver would take us to Las Palomas, I took in all the beauty of the city. I’m almost home, I think to myself. I’m almost home. 

“You ready?” Duane said, as he opened the car door for me. 

“Yeah, I am.” I reply. We drive into the city, passing by vendors on the streets, markets in town squares, people waiting for buses, and kids walking to school. I could smell food in the area. There were people crossing the street. Then we passed to the countryside. There was a rodeo being held in another field. There were hotels announcing vacant rooms. There were stores and fields of tall corn plants, plains full of saguaros and prickly pear cactuses. There was a soccer match in a field with people watching. There was small altars on the side of the road with the Virgin Mary in them and crosses full of flowers on sharp curves. 

I stare at the mountains and admire their beauty. I see a church at the top of one. We go down into a valley. We drive through the side of a mountain. We pass a man selling traditional Purhe regalia in a stand. And I see the sign, “Welcome to Las Palomas!” in the side. I can feel my breathing getting heavier and my heart feels like it’s being squeezed. We stop at the town square. I give the man our fare and a tip. 

Then I see her. She’s much older, looking frailer than I remember her appearing. She’s wearing her black striped rebozo, a big apron and her church dress. She recognizes me instantly. I drop my luggage and run to her. We collide in each other’s arms, sobbing, and just holding each other. 

She strokes my hair. 

“Thank you, God. Thank you so much, you have listened to my prayers at last.” she said. 

“Nanita.” I manage in between sobs. 

“You’re finally home.” she said, pulling away and placing her hands on my shoulders. “After almost seventeen years.” 

“I’m so glad you’re alive.” I say. People walk up to us. 

“I told you.” my aunt Paula fussed. “I told you you just needed to keep praying, Maria. Alma, where’s Lana?” 

“She died.” I said. “I came to bring her home with me.” 

My mother’s face dropped. 

“I knew. I saw her in a dream the night she died.” she said. “I just didn’t want it to be true.” I take the ash box out of my purse. 

“I wish she was with us.” I say. 

“I know. I’m just glad you’re home, even if it’s only for a while.” my nanita said. 

“I’m here to stay, nanita. There’s nothing left for me in the states.” I say. “I also have two things to announce.” I motion to Duane. “That’s my boyfriend and those two are his father and sister. Also you’re going to be a great grandmother.” 

“A great grandmother?” she looked at my stomach, which wasn’t really showing yet. “That’s wonderful! Do you know what it is yet?”

“I think a boy. That’s what my mother said.” I say. 

“Either way, a new great grandbaby.” she said. “Also, hello, Duane.”

Duane waved awkwardly. 

“Is he-?” she asked. 

“No, he’s Native American.” I say. “He’ll learn Spanish eventually.” She waves at him and gives him a big hug. “It’s nice to meet you.” 

He smiles and hugs her back. 

“Anyway, you must be tired. It’s not good for you to be sitting for so long in your condition. Let’s go home, okay?” Nanita said. “I’m making enchiladas for dinner tonight.” 

“Okay .But let us put our stuff in the apartment we rented for now.” I say. 

“Nonsense! You can stay in the lower house. Your aunt Nelda finally moved out of there. It’s perfect for you and your boyfriend.” She turns to Patrick and Charlie. “You can move into the spare rooms I have in the house. Who did you get the apartment from?” 

“Dona Estella, I think?” I say. 

“Don’t worry about it, I’ll get your deposit back.” she said. “I”ll talk to her about it.” 

I sigh. Yep, she’s still the same stubborn nanita I left behind. We take our stuff to Nanita’s house. Nothing has changed since last time. She still has all her saints and the Virgin Mary in her and Taati’s bedroom. There’s the extra room on the left and the room connecting to that one. The first room has a twin bed on it. There’s a nightstand and a chair nearby. 

The second room was mine. It still has all of my stuff in it. 

“Wow, you kept all of this?” I ask. 

“I did. I wanted you to come back home to your things. Do you have any clothes to wear? I think you and your mother are the same size.” she said. 

“I have more but I’ll take it.” I say. I set my mother’s ashes in my grandmother’s cabinet. We’ll have to empty out my room. I notice a Mazahua doll my taati had bought me for Christmas one year,I grab it and walk to the lower house where Duane has set his stuff down. 

“How does it feel like to be back home?”  he asked. 

“It’s nice to be home. I think this will be a good place to raise our child.” I say. “But we have to find jobs at some point.” 

“You’re right. Even if the restoration money is worth way more here.” Duane said. “Well, we’ll find something, don’t worry about it, honey.” 

He kisses me in the forehead. I’m so glad to be home. I’m finally at peace with myself. We cuddle in the bed. He holds me closer to him. 

“I love you.” he said. 

“I love you too.”: I say, as we drift off to sleep. :