eleven

I've never seen the inside of his home without a million people crowded in every corner. It was clean and neat. Super white and modern looking. Expensive smell and even a few centerpieces that most likely came from auctions that are hosted on the first Wednesday of every month in the downtown museum. His parents were very wealthy people and they made sure that whoever walked into their house knew that.

"He's not even here," Kit grumbled while looking at a text on his phone. "We can wait for him. In the meantime, we should work on our project." I agreed before taking a seat next to him on the white leather couch. "Let's just do like we did before. I'll find little snippets of information and you can work on the PowerPoint. We should be able to finish this by Thursday."

He was moving so quickly on his computer that I started to get dizzy just watching it. "Why are you in such a rush?" When he stopped moving I noticed his hands were shakey and by the way he followed the gaze of my eyes, I knew he knew I saw it. "Are you okay? You're nervous."

"I don't know what I'm doing. The conversation we had at the school and now we're here. That wasn't supposed to happen. But then you kept pushing and questioning me that I had to tell you. I had to tell you something. I just betrayed my best friend."

The fact that he looked beyond devastated made me feel bad for him. I too would feel the same way if I told someone Edith's secret that she didn't want to get out. "I won't tell him that I know. To make it easier, I won't make it look like I know. As far as Harvey is aware, we're here to chill at his house and maybe I'll exchange a few words with him."

He looked up at me, but not with the smile I was hoping he would have. "You're going to try with him?" I nodded. "But you said you didn't like him. Are you going to lead him on?"

"Kit, I just want you to stop acting like this. I don't know what else to do. I'm sorry for asking you about Harvey and I'm sorry for making it worse. I just don't know what to do either."

"You told me you didn't know that if a guy likes a girl then she develops feelings for him. Now you know." I started to let out a laugh since this felt like a little test, but before I could do anything, Kit was leaning closer to me and snaked his hand behind my neck to pull me closer. I freaked and froze but I didn't pull away. Something was telling me to just let what was going to happen, happen, but it never did.

Just before his lips could touch mine, he stopped and all I could feel was his shallow breath hit my mouth. I gulped hoping my lips would stop quivering. Instead of finishing what he started, he slid his hand down my back and suddenly it was gone. The sound of him grabbing his backpack is what threw me off and before I knew it, he out of my face in a second and digging through his belongings.

"Welcome!" Harvey said as he emerged from the walkway. My entire body jumped fifteen feet in the air when I saw his face. Kit, on the other hand, didn't have a fearful bone in his body. He got up to greet his friend as if he wasn't just giving me a panic attack two seconds ago. "You must be Edith." He held a hand out to me but that name caused me to look at him crazy. "Too soon?" He chuckled and Kit quickly joined along.

I looked away from the two and down at my hands that were so sweaty, I think I left a handprint on my jeans. "Where's your restroom?" Harvey pointed down a hall and I wasted no time running to get to the nearest sink. The moment I entered the bright room, I turned on the sink and downed a few handfuls of water. My mouth was drying out at an alarming rate and I couldn't let anyone know I was on the verge of a breakdown.

Nova
You won't believe what is happening right now

Edith
You're at Harvey's house right now?
I saw the text he sent Noel
He sounded excited ;)

Nova
It's not like what you're thinking I promise

Edith
I think we're doing great right now

What the hell is she talking about? Is it just me and my paranoia or am I actually supposed to be enjoying this right now? Because I'm not.

I quickly returned to the living room before any of them thought I was doing something weird. When I sat down at my spot next to Kit, his entire posture changed. "We just wanted to come over and hang out with you." Kit playfully hit Harvey's solid chest. "I'm gonna get us some drinks. Want anything specific, Nova?"

I quickly shook my head before Kit disappeared to the kitchen. Harvey walked over to the couch and moved Kit's bag out of the way so he could sit next to me. My heart started speeding up even though I wanted desperately for it to look like Kit didn't tell me a thing.

I tried to take my mind off of the details by focusing on him entirely. Things like how his hair was in the perfect tiny man bun or how his teeth barely showed every time he smiled. Also how his shoulders were as broad as this couch and when he rested his forearm on the back of the couch and the other one on his thigh... his entire upper chest could engulf me-

"I wanted to continue our conversation." His words caused me to blink back into reality and I realized we were a lot closer to each other's faces then we were a minute ago. "You asked me if I had any insecurities." His cool breath hit my lips in the softest of ways. "What if I said I lied to you."

I believed him the first time. Harvey was perfect in every way. I personally never had a crush on him or ever thought I'd be on the same playing field as to give him the time of day, but I will admit that he was gifted in a lot of things. Having an amazing face structure was one of them. "I'd have to ask you why?"

"I have this thing where... I don't get too comfortable too soon." He fixed his posture so his body would be facing me directly instead of turned towards the coffee table. In that process, he lifted his knee further into the couch and it was now resting against my thigh. "I do it with everyone so don't feel as if I don't trust you. I did it with Kit, Noel... Sophia."

"Are you going to tell me the truth then?"

Harvey chuckled softly before straightening out his smile. "I fear I'm a terrible person. I'm scared everyone can see it too."