sixteen

I never wanted to be a princess. I thought they were always portrayed as weak or too head strong instead of just being human. I never wanted to be a queen either, always giving out advice and being looked up to. There had to be someone in the castle that was in the middle. Someone who didn't reach for the stars or stoop too low. Who would be just like me?

Sophia was the princess. Edith was the step sister. Harvey an entire king and Kit the prince. Rudy would be the Queen with no doubt since she bathed in boldness. I couldn't find my place in all of this. Maybe I was the chaplain?

"Can you zip this for me? We got to hurry up. Harvey's mom already pulled out the 4K camera." I quickly zipped up Rudy's dress as Sierra applied one last layer of mascara before checking herself out in the mirror. "You look beautiful my queen," Rudy winked.

"And you look stunning." Sierra strutted over and snaked her hands around Rudy's waist. They shared a quick kiss then fixed each other's lipstick. I couldn't help but giggle at how cute they looked. "You girls ready?" I nodded quickly. "I know Harvey can't wait to see you."

We left the spare bedroom and entered the hallway quickly but I wished we would have waited ten more seconds. Edith came walking out the bathroom and we literally bumped into each other trying to get out of the others way. She finally stopped trying to avoid me and took a look at my dress instead.

"Burgundy? The woman in the picture wasn't it?" I nodded slowly. "You said her dress was ugly."

"And you said she was cute in it. I wasn't planning on going to homecoming so I couldn't pick a color." I slumped my shoulders as I thought about arguing with her again. Edith and I have never been this upset with each other for long. We usually made up the next time we saw each other but I don't see that happening. "I didn't think you'd wear the same color. You always looked great in purple."

She sucked her teeth while looking away from me with an annoyed expression. She obviously didn't want to be talking to me. "I look great in everything, Nova." I nodded. "Wow. You're desperate, huh?"

"I don't want to lose you." I admitted. "You're my best friend and I don't know what I did but if I could undo it then I would a million times over."

"Harvey humiliated me. He hurt me. In what world does that lead to my best friend saying yes to dating him?" I pouted hopelessly. "There is no undoing that. I already know what you'd do. I've seen the real you."

She squeezed past me to get to the stairs. "Edith..."

"Nova! There is nothing else you could say!"

I knew it was best to let her walk away so she wouldn't scream at me even louder than she already was. If it weren't for the music in the background then I would have took the window as an exit.

"Do you want me to push her?" Asked Rudy who saw everything. "She shouldn't have yelled at you like that. How could you take that?"

Maybe I'm the joker...

"Now if you all could just squeeze together just a bit more." Harvey's mother grabbed one girl by her arm and forced her closer to her date. She then went back to the camera to check and stuck a thumbs up. "Yes! Stay right there."

I hopped down the last step to meet up with Harvey who left the group to grab my hand. "I thought you weren't going to make it. You took so long." He placed me right next to Erin and his date. Kit stood behind Rudy since the girls were on the bottom and the boys were on a step behind us.

"Come here, Harvey honey! Your hair fell. Tell Erica to get me the gel." The chatting began when Harvey was assisted to the back by his mom so he could fix his hair.