fourteen

Kit Richardson
u busy rn?

Nova
Not really. Why?

Kit Richardson
cause rudy and i are parked outside

It didn't take me but three seconds to run to the window and see the two of them hanging out of Rudy's Jeep Wrangler. I was a complete hot mess this late in the day. I always took my hair out of its puff and changed into my pajamas when I didn't have anywhere to be after school. Homecoming is in two days and I hoped we would do it Thursday since planning the day before isn't that bad of a thing.

Nova
Wow. I'm going to put my shoes on and be right out!

Though I was obviously lying. Kit didn't once send me a follow up message to hurry up. I had to wash my face, re-do my hair, change my clothes, and make sure I did everything I just said I did since I was too nervous to function. I didn't know why because it's not like I haven't spent time with Kit before. It was Rudy I was nervous about.

"Awe! Look at the princess!" Rudy clapped in the air as I stepped out the front door. I smiled when she cooed. Kit even got out of the passengers seat and into the back just so I could sit up front. "Okay, so there's this super popular mall that like has like everything!" Rudy mocked the girls at our school who talked about homecoming since school started.

Kit laughed while leaning to the front to grab his phone and change the song. "What color are you wearing?" He asked me seriously.

I didn't know I was going to homecoming up until a day ago so I haven't really thought about a specific color. It was the last thing on my plate. "Should I color code with Harvey?"

Rudy and Kit chuckled to each other before looking back at me. "No," Kit responded. "He color codes with you. So hurry and say what color. He said they're already at the shop. He wants the handkerchief and bow tie."

My mouth went dry as I tried to think of a color that made sense. Seconds went by and nothing came to mind except the pictures my mom showed me of my aunt during her prom. She wore silver but this cute girl behind her wore burgundy. "Burgundy," I called out.

"Wow. I can see it now. Nova would look really good in burgundy." Kit agreed with Rudy's comment and I felt pleased in myself. "Burgundy it is. I'm wearing silver and Sierra is wearing white. Not like a wedding dress wet but you know... white."

Kit sat back in his seat and remained silent through it all. I wonder if he knew what color he'd be wearing or is the topic too sensitive to add on to.

I was on my third dress while Rudy was on her seventh. Kit sat there and gave us honest feed back on everything we walked out the dressing room wearing. The difference between the reviews he gave us was that Rudy's dresses looked too dull and my dresses would look better without sleeves.

"Nova, why don't I pick out your dress. It's homecoming. Not an expensive funeral." With that, I put my clothes back on and made my exit from the dressing room. I didn't want to argue back and forth because then my insecurities would just be out in the open. "Tell Kit I'll be right back."

As she scurried off, Kit returned with our drinks and pretzels for himself. "She's going to pick out my dress. She decided to go with her third option." He nodded slowly. "Thanks for the water."

"This ain't water. I thought it was crazy that you'd ask for such a thing." I took a sip of my drink and of course it was Cola. I hated Cola. "Surprise!"