♔ Prologue

Kailey Chaney's Point of View

Instead of having dinner with the team in the dining hall... I'm all by myself here, attempting to find out how to properly use the doomblades, one of which was called Vicious Iron Doomblade. I'm not sure why they called it that, but it doesn't matter to me; all I need to do now is continue to practice myself. It's already evening, and I'm not in the mood to eat dinner with my comrades. I was out on the practice fields, battling this thing once more.

"Oi, satan's daughter. What are you doing out here?", you've got to be joking, right? Why did Captain find me, out of all the Risen Demons? Why is he here?! I just want to go back in time and start over with my life choices.

"Oi, Toya— Captain. Ehem, good evening, Cap.", why do I still seem to get myself into trouble?

"Will you react to my question or not?", we're no longer shocked when he asks me again with the cold look on his forehead. Over all the troops, he was the most strong and trustworthy. Still, in my opinion, don't take it too seriously because I really don't want to die. Anyway, when it comes to expeditions, he goes too far and plays too dirty. After all, we're The Risen Demons, so I don't mind if they fight.

"Oh, well. Since I wasn't present in the dining room?", as he looked at me again, he furrowed his brows, as though I'd decided to wake up for death. "The fuck did you just say?", haha shit gotta go bye.

Kidding.

"I'm just practicing Lieutenant Colonel Ellis's latest invention, I said. I couldn't concentrate earlier when they were showing me how to use this device properly. That is why I am here rather than in the dining hall. Captain, how about you? What are you doing in this place?"

"What do you think I'm doing here, bastard?", he verbally hurts my feelings at times. Is this old hag devoid of emotions?

"Captain, would it appear that I have little idea what you're up to? I'm a human soldier, but not a mind reader, as far as I know.", he's looking at me as if disgusted by my words, like: "Do you even know who you're dealing with?" look. Not going to lie, it gives me the creeps at times.

"Tsk.", that was the only thing he said to me. We were immersed in a cold silence, with me secretly admiring the lights of the town underneath our headquarters.

"Sergeant Chaney, it's been five years since you joined my squad. Instead of overworking yourself, you should have celebrated it.", that was fantastic to hear, particularly because it came from our Captain, who RARELY says such things in front of us, but it's strange. I have no idea what to say or how to react.

But we all knew he cared for us in secret; he's just hiding his emotions to himself.

"Captain, I don't give a damn how long I've been here. I'm content as long as I'm fighting for this District. I don't ask for anything anymore; all I want is to save this District."

"This is why I selected you as one of my squad's top five cadets. Continue to make me proud, lady. And I'm going to let you in on a little secret: you'll be the first to hear about it. So be thankful, and I know we can count on you because you're the greatest decoy of all time for the Wheassain."

He jumped off the tall tree and was about to walk off alone on the training field when he came to a halt and said, "Meet me in my office tomorrow morning, and we'll talk about the strategy.", he then turned around and started walking away.

He's a total creep. How did he know I've been in this service for five years? It makes me feel like he's stalking me. Or is he simply too smart to remember? I don't know how to respond any longer.

I'm not shocked that this scumbag is here today.

"Yo, Aero..", I welcomed her by looking her in the eyes directly, which she continued to avoid.

"What was that thing? I wasn't aware of this because I wasn't there, and Doc had called me for a reason, so I hadn't been able to come in since yesterday. So, could you tell me about the object you're carrying right now? Data, as it were.", she said it with a brogue, which is an Irish accent.

"Oh yeah, sure."

I've explained what I know, so she can now leave me alone. Her Irish accent is the most offensive I've ever heard in my entire life. I guess we're fine because she despises me. Motherfucker, we're on the same page.

"Now fuck off and leave me alone. Don't go back because you've already collected enough information. Goodbye, and I hope you perish as soon as possible." I said something to her as I formed a heart with my hands, but she just rolled her eyes and turned away, so I made my heart hands into a middle finger that rose into the air.

Isn't it true that I'm such a sweet comrade? I'm so proud of my saltiness that I think I will now die in peace.

— start of The Battle of Death VS. The Last Lost Hope: Bite The Hand That Feeds You Part 1