♔ Chapter 17

— Continuation: Unforeseen Circumstances Part 13

• later •

The Military Corps, on the other hand, was en route to the Oniochester's partition. Kailey then released her clones for the final time to help the arriving comrades. They'd finally met the clones, and it quickly gave them the memories of their forefathers; they kept a close eye on it. Until the end of the Judge's sentence, that is. The majority of them wanted to cry, but it was not the appropriate time. They simply increased their speed because they needed to make it on time.

Harrison is the only one who is processing what is going on around him through the frightening occurrences. His emotions were mixing like a liquid, to be precise. He has no idea how to react or respond when he hears about such a situation, especially when his loved ones are involved. The male counterpart was taken aback, unsure of what would happen next. Not until..

"Let's just retreat back to Klupnard's partition..", said the one who had been silent the entire time. They all turned to their Captain, who was taken aback by his stance as he stared at the sandy ground. His comrades were looking at him with a puzzled and dissatisfied expression on their faces.

"W-what the fuck?! Are you serious, Captain?!! Are you not concerned about your own fiancée and daughter? We can't just accept what you've stated, you know! We just cannot return, especially if one of our outstanding men perishes, and worse, perishes in front of us! Don't you want to say goodbye to your own family one last time?", Izayah sobbed uncontrollably. He just can't take it any longer, so his companions dismount and rush over to him, trying to console him. The others are simply silent because they understand what the cadet just said and know how it feels to see someone you know or someone close to you die in front of your eyes.

"That is not the case. You don't merely comprehend what I'm saying.", Harrison looked at his companions coldly, as if he wasn't upset and sad at the same moment, and that he was only trying to hide it.

"Captain, I may not understand you, but this is simply too much! After Kailey died in front of us 15 years ago. When it comes to fights, you've turned into the Captain we knew before Kailey joined the military force— y-you've become too pushy and bossy. That's really twisted up, as if you don't think of us as your squad and a comrade! You've beaten us up too badly, and I can't help but tell you about it! Captain, I've had it with your nonsense! I'm hoping you're aware of this. You are not the only one who has suffered as a result of Kailey's death.. W-we all have!! Just get it done with so you can start a new life! It's tarnishing our image as military personnel, you know! Not only were Kailey and Khaleada our family members, but they were also ours! Kailey makes me feel like she's my mother because she acts like one and is constantly there for me after the accident! Please don't be so obnoxious, this may be the last time we see them together!"

"I don't want to see someone dying in front of my eyes! That's not going to happen in my fucking timepiece! You are welcome to go, but I am returning to Wheassain. Even though I was strict with all of you at the time, it didn't seem to be a problem for me. After Oniochesters saw you, I trust you were able to return to the District unhurt and alive. You're hopeless.", Harrison signals a turn of the reins, and the horse follows suit, getting further away. He didn't even think twice about returning their stares, despite the fact that he knows they're all staring at him. He kissed the ring Kailey had given him three days before, the diamond still pure blood red, and he tightened his grasp on the reins as he accelerated the pace.

"Is he having a problem? But it's not like this is the first time.", Izayah irritably shrugged as he led the way to the Chaneys' hiding place.

Madison just sighed as she looked at the younger cadet who was following the clone. "He has a point, but at the same time, he really doesn't understand what Captain's talking about."

"He's one of Kailey's son figures for a reason," Niamh said as he approached his close friend and put his arms around her shoulder.

"In the previous war, I did not vote for anyone. Both of them are correct. According to what Harrison told us before, he doesn't want to see another death of his loved ones, which is why he returned to Wheassain; he's had enough of these kinds of incidents. Cadet Izayah, on the other hand, emphasizes that this is the final time we'll see them, which is why he wanted to go there and watch; he simply wanted to see his mother and sibling for the final time. Because Kailey has been caring for Izayah since his parents and family died during the battle, and I believe he has become accustomed to it and bonded to Kailey, therefore we don't have a choice at this time.", Rodgers elaborated.

"However, Colonel Rodgers...", Cerys lifted his hands in answer to Deandre's nod. "Is there still a chance we can spare Kailey and Khaleada from being executed? Can we, for example, prevent all of this?"

"Murphy, you raise an excellent point, but I'm not sure we can still prevent the execution. Either we all die together or they both die once we're caught."

They all fell silent as they tried to figure out how to save the Chaneys until one of the clones around them spoke up "They're being led out the door to the gallows. They planned to execute in Oniochester, the capital, where the public execution was being carried out."

After hearing what the clone stated, they all became preoccupied and began moving toward Oniochester's capital. They had a peaceful voyage till they arrived, which was fortunate because it was about to begin.

tbc..