♔ Chapter 5

— Continuation: Start of Unforeseen Circumstances

• 1st Millennium, AD 777 (DCCLXXVII) •

The Privafectio Astuses serum was created by Aonghus Chaney, a well-known chemist, and his lovely wife, Cristini Midhir Chaney. They were Phaginia residents, Wheassain. The serum, believe it or not, was used to achieve immortality. If you've had the serum pumped into your bloodstream, you can live as long as you want, and there's no way to get it out. It was as if you had Vampire abilities, but only your very being was involved. Zinghastans and Wheassainians were such good country comrades until that serum was launched, and their cooperation turned into rivalry. Wheassainians have been colonized by Zinghastans several times, but none of their colonizations have been successful because they have not successfully taken the Privafectio Astuses serum. Before the government of the Wheassain District agreed to build a military force.

• 16th Century, 1520 (current year) •

In The Risen Demons' Headquarters, it was a calm day. Just kidding, they never have a quiet day there; the team, particularly those three: Terrence, Gavyn, and Victoria, are always in a frenzy. But it's not as tumultuous as it was when Kailey was still alive. It had been 15 years since Zinghast and Wheassain invaded each other. They still can't believe they've lost their Wheassain's Best Decoy. The Risen Demons as a whole fell silent and continued to carry out their duties properly, despite the fact that one of their best comrades had already died. Phaginia town became even more colorless and less lively than before, but after a few months, they returned to their former self.

What about the Captain, Colonel, and Lieutenant Colonel of the Risen Demons? Let's start with Lieutenant Colonel Iliana Ellis; despite the fact that they are just three years apart in age, Kailey was her daughter figure, and that younger girl treated Iliana like her mother, but seeing her daughter figure die in front of her was the most painful scene she had ever witnessed in her entire life. Iliana simply locked herself up in her Laboratory after her death and didn't appear outside the Headquarters again for almost a year. Colonel Deandre Rodgers acknowledged Sergeant Chaney's death instantly, but despite the fact that they were not close comrades like Lieutenant Ellis, he can sense the sorrow and pain in his squad. On to his other musings; "What do you think an invasion war would entail? We still lost great soldiers in any battle, and they weren't afraid to die. For the sake of the country's security, they agreed to become soldiers.", Captain Montoya, however, was seen carrying a positive pregnancy test. He couldn't help but cry; he'd known Harrison for far too long, and this was the first time he'd let his feelings out since he'd been burying them. Captain Harrison Montoya, last but not least. Let's just claim that a decade later, he had fully recovered from Kailey's death. He hasn't spoken to anyone, he has been silent even during meetings, he hasn't complained about others' behavior, and he has more rage problems. He didn't throw away Kailey's positive pregnancy test, and he had it framed along with the engagement ring, which he kept on his desk so that whenever he was stressed, he could only look at it and let out a smile. He still talks about his day without her in the picture, just to improve himself.

What else would they be doing if they weren't outside the Training Field? Training, of course. Iliana began to laugh at Terrence, who had evidently tripped on their Horses' shit; all Captain Montoya could do was sigh and face-palm, puzzled as to why he had allowed them to join the Risen Demons. "Morning, Captain!" she yelled cheerfully as he just rolled his eyes as Iliana saw Harrison walking towards the Training Field. Except for Terrence, who went inside the bathroom to take a shower, the squad started to be shocked but saluted as soon as possible. Even though he was caught in 4k, he doesn't want to be roasted by their own Captain.

"Have you all tried Lieutenant Ellis' latest arrow and bow that she made for you? When did each of you arrive? Have you swept the halls and cleaned the dining room? What about the horses and wolves?", Captain Harrison peppered his team with questions.

"Captain, we're about to give it a shot. And we'd been here since 7 AM, with everyone in the squad pitching in to clean the Headquarters. That's all there is to it, Captain. Captain, are you getting a partner practicing again? Thank you in advance if you don't mind answering.", Niamh responded.

"Tch. Yeah. So go find your own partners and begin practicing right away. I'll be doing paperwork here today so that I can watch you all doing your jobs."

They'd already chosen their partners and began practicing, with the tumultuous pair waiting for Terrence to return to the Training Field so they could practice together.

"Psst, Victoria. Do you want to practice while we wait for Rence? It's a little tedious if we don't do something, and we risk being reprimanded by Captain.", Gavyn asked Victoria after catching the arrows and bows they'd be using for Archery training, and Victoria took the bow Gavyn tossed her way right away.

"Yeah, sure. But only in one dreadful state! Let's do it the most dangerous way possible: we'll place an apple above your head!"

"Oi! This motherfucker—"

"Ooooh!! I'd like to see that kind of Archery experience, so I'll be keeping an eye on you two!", they've been approached by hazard. Just kidding, Lieutenant Iliana approached them with a curved smile on her lips. This time, Victoria triumphed in their duel.

As Victoria warms up, Iliana is the one who puts the apple above Gavyn's head. Prior to shooting the bow, Victoria took the following stance: Victoria stood tall with her feet shoulder width apart and her feet at a 90-degree angle to the goal (Gavyn). She kept the bow handle with a relaxed grip. She then places the arrow on the bow and turns it so that the arrow rest is facing upwards and the bow is horizontal. Place the arrow on the arrow rest's shelf. She places the arrow's nock between the two brass nocking points on the string, making sure the cock fletch (the odd-colored one) is pointed upward. Return the bow to its original position. As seen in the diagram, she places her fingers on the string with the index finger above the arrow and two fingers below. The string should be tucked into her last finger crease (nearest to the fingertips). She doesn't use her fingertips to hold the arrow. Pull the string back with your back muscles, not your arms or biceps. Pull the string back until the pulling hand's index finger is under her chin and the string reaches her nose and lips. She's looking down the arrow with her dominant eye, aligning it with the apple. She let go of her hold on the string and let her fingers fall backward. She maintained the body position after firing. Unfortunately, it did not land on the apple. Gavyn got chills as it directed to the tree behind him.

They laughed as Victoria approached the tree where the arrow had fallen, and Terrence eventually returned on time. "Looking for this arrow, Miss?", a girl from nowhere caught everyone's attention as she lifted her left hand, the arrow in her grip. Victoria's eyes narrowed as she examined the tree; the arrow had vanished.

tbc..