Prologue

2009

Jiah has never felt so alone her entire life.

The walls that engufled her felt very foreign and it scared her because none of it makes sense and she didn't know whose things surrounded her - she didn't know what was happening and that was very unsettling, even for someone who was just twelve-years of age.

But Jiah was smart.

Her eomma thought her well, and her appa thought her well at such a very young age.

She was smart around her twelve years of age, and she was smart enough to figure out why she was there.

Inside a room, an empty room, surrounded by bunks and empty closet, a small bathroom and no one to talk to.

Her parents are dead.

Her eomma is gone.

Her appa is gone.

She had witnessed it - she saw it with her own eyes and the image still lingered in her head. How the doctors moved around, all of them talking at once, the cold air that ran through her skin, the way the doctors asked her if she was okay.

She became silent.

It's been five months when the incident happened and she was still having nightmares about it, every day.

But Jiah wasn't all that smart. Because if she was that smart, she would know how to take all the bad memories away and move on from it, but what does a twelve year old like her knows about the pain of losing someone?

The process of grief?

Maybe she really isn't that smart like her eomma and appa say.

Turning around when she heard the door creaking open, she was greeted by the man whom she had seen with her appa, and has talked to her politely and happily whenever he sees her. She knew he was no relative, but rather, a business partner that her appa told her about and is someone who would help her pursue her dreams to be that someone that makes cool music, so she kept an eye on him.

"Jiah-ssi," the man called out, a smile on his face as he kneeled down to get in an eye level with her, his hat that Jiah had distinguished for still on his head like the first time she saw him. "Do you. . .know what's happening?"

Jiah only nodded her head.

"Really?"

She nodded once again.

The man let out a chuckle, "You really are a smart girl," he says, holding out a hand on her shoulder. "Your. . eomma and appa said you wanted to be an amazing producer, right?"

Jiah stared at him questionally. "What's a - a. . .poducer?"

"A producer," The man corrected her, smiling. "It's someone who makes cool music,"

For the first time in five months, Jiah's eyes widened, beaming in excitement.

She nodded frantically.

"De. But in order for you to be able to produce cool music, you have to work really hard for it and learn all the techniques to be able to make cool music,"

"Yes, I know," Jiah told him, almost cutting him off making the man let out a laugh. "I promised. . .eomma and appa I'll make cool music for them, I - I - I make cool music so they - they be proud of me."

The man hummed in agreement. "You're a really, really brave and smart girl, you know that?" Jiah nodded, determined. "Your eomma and appa are so proud of you."