Chapter 31

A loud knock on my door jolted me awake. I threw on a hoodie and ran to answer the door. I looked through the peephole to see a man I didn't recognize. 

I opened the door a little so I could see him better.

"Alexandra Mills?" He asked cheerfully.

I nodded. He lifted up a bouquet of blue lilies and handed them to me.

"Delivery for you ma'am, have a lovely day!" He said with a smile and left.

I closed my door and looked at the bouquet in confusion. Who the hell sends flowers to someone on a Sunday? I took the card out of the bouquet and opened it.

"For my sweet peaches. Love, Deri."

I sighed, I guess he did get the wrong idea from my text. I heard my phone go off in my room and went to get it. To no surprise, it was Derek.

Derek: "Do you like them?"

Alex: "You remembered my favorite flower?"

D: "Of course."

A: "They're beautiful, thank you."

D: "Have a lovely day peaches."

A: "You too, Derek."

I appreciated the sentiment of the flowers. But I felt like he was trying to jump back into a relationship too fast. I just wasn't ready for that yet.

When Maddie woke up we went over my grandparents will and legal documents. I helped her move what little furniture she brought with her back to her old apartment. Luckily her old bed was still in her apartment so she didn't need my spare one.

"Sooooo, who are the flowers from?" Maddie asked, a grin spread across her face.

"They're from Derek." I admitted.

"See Alex? He never stopped loving you. He even remembered your favorite flower! You have to at least give him a chance." Maddie said, trying to encourage me.

"I don't know if I'm ready." I whispered, crossing my arms.

"It's not like you're going to live with the guy-"

I looked away from her and up at the ceiling.

"OH MY GOD! YOU ARE!?" She squealed like a little kid.

"He doesn't have anywhere to go and I have the extra room now." I said, defensively. 

She laughed loudly, "I give it a week tops and he'll be sleeping in your bed. You'll be back to fucking each other before that."

"MADDIE!" I gasped, slapping her arm lightly. "I still don't trust him 100%. This is just a trial run."

Maddie gave me a look, "HA! You weren't looking for a boyfriend last summer either. But Derek quickly changed your mind about that too."

She was right, I didn't want a boyfriend last summer. But within a few days, Derek had changed my mind. What if he tried to do it again? Would I be able to hold my ground?

"Anyway, I'm going to meet up with Jay." Maddie said cheerfully.

"It's not Jason from last summer is it?" I asked.

Maddie laughed, "God no, I haven't spoken to him since that summer. See you later, Alex!"

I waved to her as she left. She didn't have the door all the way closed when I heard her speak again. I couldn't really pick out what she was saying, though. I walked over to the door and she pushed it back open.

"Alex, you have a visitor." She said in a sultry voice.

I looked around the door to see Derek standing there. He smiled when he saw me.