Chapter 10

I must have fallen back to sleep after Xavier left. I opened my eyes to the sun starting to set. I grabbed my phone off the nightstand and unlocked it. No missed calls or messages. I frowned, I definitely fucked everything up. I put my phone back on the nightstand and rolled towards the wall. I had no desire to get up, I just wanted to lay here. My eyes started to burn, I blinked back the tears threatening to spill over. Maybe it was for the best, sleeping with my English professor was a huge risk. One neither of us should have taken. I pushed the pillow Xavier slept on onto the floor. I shouldn't have let feelings get in the way. It never turns out good for me in the end.

I pulled my comforter up over me and cuddled into the warm blanket. Just as I was about to close my eyes again, they shot open. Is my front door locked? I lept out of bed and ran out to the door, it wasn't locked. I turned the lock roughly into the locked position, sighing in relief. I turned around and froze when I saw a neatly wrapped box on my kitchen counter. I stalked towards it slowly, taking the card on-top that was addressed to me. I gently nugded the lid off the box and my face dropped. Any other person that would have opened the box would think nothing over if. But I knew who it was from, only one person would send me a box of peaches. The one person that made up that nickname for me.

Fear began building inside my chest, I opened the card with shaking hands. Tears began streaming down my face when I read the three simple words scribbled on the small paper.

"See you soon."

I sunk to my knees, gripping my hair tightly until my fingers hurt. I wanted to scream, run, hide, anything to get away. But all I could do was sit there on the floor and cry. I thought I was finally safe, I couldn't have been more wrong.

~*~

I didn't sleep at all for the rest of the night. Xavier didn't call me either, which didn't surprise me. I looked at the clock, it was 3am. I sighed, continuing to channel surf. I managed to calm myself down enough to watch tv. But that still couldn't keep my mind occupied. The screen on my phone lit up, followed by a ping. I picked it up, confused as to who would be texting me at this hour. It was Xavier.

X: 'Hi, I'm sorry I didn't call after I left. What Maddie said caught me off guard a little. I know it shouldn't have bothered me as much as it did. I just needed to clear my head. Hope you're not too angry with me.

An instant wave of relief washed over me. I didn't fuck everything up with him. I chewed on my bottom lip nervously, trying to think of what to type back. After finding the box of peaches on my counter, there was no way this could happen between us. Unless, he put them there.

A: I'm not angry. I'm sorry if what she said upset you. We probably shouldn't be messing around anyway. Maybe this is for the best.

I put my phone down on the couch next to me. As much as I hated to admit it, I was right. This was for the best, I couldn't let him get hurt because of me.

I almost jumped out of my skin when my phone started to ring. I picked it up off the couch and saw Xavier's name light up the screen.

"Hello?" I said cautiously.

"Hey, why are you awake so late?" He spoke softly.

"N-Nightmare." I said a little too quickly. "Why are you up?"

"Haven't been able to sleep. Are you okay?"

I bit my lip, mulling over how to answer his question. " I'm ok. Hey, um.. Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."