On Our Own

^^ Adelina Elizabeth Andrea Bishop above, age 7

"Mama!" The young blonde shouted as she ran out of the school building and over to her tall, brunette mother. "I missed you today!"

The brunette smiled at her little blonde, and her heart ached just by looking at her seven-year old daughter. "Ciao bambina, com'è andata la tua giornata (Hi child, how was your day)?" She asked in perfect Italian, knowing her daughter understood every word she said.

"It was OK, Mama," the child said as they walked to their car and got in, buckling themselves right away. "Felicity and I played together on the playground and Ms. Thomas says I'm doing really well at math and science!"

"Va bene, sono contento che tu abbia avuto una buona giornata (That's good, I'm glad you had a good day)."

The rest of the car ride home was silent, as the two were both deep in thought of the next day's events. Arriving at the apartment, the young child grimaced slightly, but still kept her smile.

"Let's get changed and we can watch a movie if you'd like, bella (beautiful)?" The brunette suggested with a small smile. When her daughter nodded, she knew that she had made the right decision.

Suddenly, her phone pinged, alerting her that someone had sent her a notification. Looking down, she saw that it was her groupchat with Vic, Travis and Andy.

Andy: Hey, hope everything's good. Let us know if you and the bambina need anything! I love you!

Vic: Tell my niece that I love her and that I'm thinking of her! And you too!

Trav: Gay uncle alert! I love you both so much and if you need anything, just ask!

The brunette grinned, tears threatening to fall, as she read the sweet words that her friends sent her. Out of everyone at the fire station, she was closest to these three, as her wife had the most special bond with them too.

Thanks guys! We're watching a movie tonight and I don't know what we'll do tomorrow. Would you guys like to join us for the movie? She won't mind.

Vic: I'd LOVE to! Be there in 10 :)

Andy: On my way! Let me go pick up some sweets for my niece!

Trav: See you soon!

"Mama? What's wrong?"

The brunette faced her daughter, whose face was filled with worry.

"Nothing, bambina. Zia Andy, Vic and Zio Trav will be here soon to watch the movie with us. Is that okay with you?"

"Si, mama," the girl said with a grin as she ran into her bedroom, emerging seconds later with her favourite stuffed pig. She had been gifted it when she was born, from one of her favourite people in the world.

"Maya, she hasn't been born yet, no need to spoil her this much," Carina said with a laugh as she watched her wife walk around the baby store looking at all the things she could buy for their unborn daughter.

"I don't care, Carina. I want this baby to grow up differently than how I did. I am not going to turn out like my dad, I won't let that happen to our little girl," Maya responded as she cradled her six month bump.

The two women had been excited to start a family together, so much so that they even started planning their children long before they got married. Maya was constantly riddled with the fear that she would be just like her father: controlling and abusive, but Carina would always reassure her and remind her that she was nothing like her father.