Happier

A/N: This is for all of my lovely commenters who asked for a second part to Enough For Her. I thought about it and I was very grateful to have a suggestion in the comments for the second part. This part is dedicated to zkoooo08, thanks for the suggestion and inspiration!

xxxxxxxxxx

Maya sighed as she and her lawyer finished the last of the paperwork before the divorce would officially be finalised. It had been a week since the initial filing for divorce and Maya was even more broken than when Carina actually left. Left Maya and their sons to fend for themselves, all alone, in the big world. All that she had promised Maya at their wedding had gone away, faded, into the big unknown.

Mike had figured out that something was bothering his Mommy but he had yet to ask what it was yet. He and Chase were sent to Andy's while Maya dealt with the paperwork and proceedings for the divorce, especially dealing with the kids. Carina had said that Maya was to get full custody, but the judge needed proof of this, in writing. This is what Maya and her lawyer, Elise, were working on that day. Elise said that Maya would have to contact Carina and ask her to provide a statement, whether it be in writing or a recorded message.

Maya, of course, was hesitant to call her ex. The two women had not had a voice conversation in years, due to Carina not telling Maya where she was or not providing a phone number for Maya to reach her at.

Their conversation was forced, and neither knew what to say to the other. Carina knew what she had done; the guilt in her stomach as she talked to the woman she loved. Maya was bottling up her emotions, per usual; it became a habit of hers after her father had forced her to do many things.

Carina and Maya cleared up what they needed to regarding the divorce and it was finalised a month later. Maya had a mix of emotions running through her veins afterwards, but was okay with the way things turned out in the end. Some things just are not meant to be.

"Come on boys, do you want to go to the park?" Florence Jones asked as she finished dressing Chase in some comfortable clothes. She had become close to the two boys, and very understanding of all that they had gone through in the past year.

Mike immediately agreed with the suggestion, putting his shoes on as fast as he could, while Chase laughed and held onto Florence. He loved Florence from the day they met, and was glad to have such an amazing figure in his life, apart from his Mommy.

The door clicked and Maya walked in, seeing the three getting ready to leave. "Going to the park without Mommy?"

"Mommy!" Chase exclaimed, wriggling out of Florence's arms and into the arms of his Mommy, his role model. "You're home!"

Maya kissed Chase on the forehead and cuddled him close. "I will always come back for you, bambino, I promise."

The boys understood what their Mommy meant when she said their Mama was not coming home; Mike was more upset than Chase was, since he was a copy of Carina, but he understood the situation. They spent months together with Maya, as she had taken time off of work to be with them during the adjustment period. There was not a lot to adjust to, as they had gotten into their routine after Carina left.

Florence smiled as she watched Maya and her sons interact, and was happy to know them. She turned toward Maya and placed a kiss on the fire captain's forehead, making Maya blush. "Hi darling."

"Hey, babe. They weren't too much trouble I hope?" She asked, interlocking their fingers together and ruffling Chase's dark brown hair that almost replicated Carina's.