Clouds

Carina sighed, watching Maya walk away from her. Again. She was trying not to show how much it was hurting her, but she just wanted her wife to come home. It had been a painful five days and she could only watch her wife self-destruct this much. She knew how hard it was for Maya to have been demoted and now be treated like a probie with a captain who doesn't care about his team's well-being. Not to mention that the first female fire chief is not living up to the standards Carina had thought. It seemed as if all she cared about was the one lieutenant she was sleeping with. She knew that Maya needed some time, especially after the rough call they had and Beckett's prank on her wife that left her hair partially red.

Travis had filled her in on the details of the call, knowing that Carina would want to know what had happened. Maya had climbed up a ferris wheel to help the firefighters inside the corn maze but an electrical surge almost caused Maya to fall. While she didn't, she did end up hurting her ankle, spraining it just like she had before the Olympics. Then, Maya had decided to be a hero and save the father and son from burning in the maze. Carina had tears in her eyes when Travis told her the story, but she knew that her wife wasn't doing well and needed to find a way to intervene. She had heard Theo yelling in the barn when they returned, catching pieces of it, and knowing it was directed toward Maya and Beckett.

"Maybe I'm pregnant," Carina had said earlier when Maya entered the beanery for some water. She looked up, shock written all over her face. "I'm hungry all day today. I can't stop eating. I think it's a good sign."

"Yeah. Yeah, that's good," Maya had said. "That's good."

Carina frowned. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, mm-hmm. I'm just tired. Thirsty. I'm gonna go shower, and then I'm gonna..." Maya trailed. "I'm gonna come home. Mm, yeah. I shouldn't... I shouldn't work, uh, like this. And it's not safe for the others, so..."

Carina couldn't watch Maya fumble over her words anymore, walking to close the gap between them. Nodding, she said, "Yes, bella, you should sleep... in bed at home, with me."

Maya almost caved hearing Carina's words, showing a small smile. It had been a while since she heard Carina call her that nickname. "Yeah. Yeah."

"Yeah."

"Yeah, that is, um, exactly what I need," Maya finished, cupping Carina's cheeks and kissing her softly. It wasn't rushed, seeing as it was their first kiss in a while, and things were still a little awkward between them, but it was a kiss nonetheless.

After she pulled away, Maya took her water bottle and walked toward the showers, displaying a slight limp. Carina watched her wife walk and sighed, knowing she had injured her ankle, again. She wished that she wasn't so stubborn so that someone could look at her ankle and help her, but Maya's ego always got the better of her.

Once the station had closed and their little trick-o-treaters were gone for the night, the firefighters began cleaning up. Carina had decided to help Vic by putting chairs away and picking up dropped candy wrappers.

"So, uh, Carina... How is uh everything?" Vic asked a bit awkwardly. She had been there when Carina took a pregnancy test, but quickly threw it in the trash knowing she wanted Maya to be there with her.

"Maya's coming home tonight."

Vic raised an eyebrow. She knew how stubborn the blonde was. Had she finally reached her limit?

"She kissed me tonight. Before, uh, going to take a shower."

"How long ago was that?" Vic asked, just now looking at her watch. It was close to ten o'clock and she knew that Maya's showers were fairly quick.