Miracle of Hope

^^ Isabella Elizabeth-Marie Bishop DeLuca, age 2

"Where is she?" Carina asked frantically as she raced through the halls of Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital in Seattle, Washington. She had just finished delivering a set of twins to a young mother, when she got a page from Doctor Hunt asking her to come down to Trauma 1.

    Andrew was the first to spot the worried Italian and began calming her down. "È solo qui, Carina (She's just in here, Carina)," he said as he led his older sister into the room where her girlfriend was lying on the table with doctors surrounding her.

    "What happened?" She asked the blonde, who smiled softly when she saw Carina.

    The blonde looked at her girlfriend sheepishly, but managed to stifle a small laugh. "I... was... saving... a little girl..." she choked out. The smoke inhalation had gotten the best of her and she had inhaled too much after taking off her oxygen mask for the little girl to use instead.

    Carina let out a chuckle as she stroked her girlfriend's hair. "Always saving someone aren't you, Maya?" Turning to Doctor Hunt, Carina asked, "So? How bad is she?"

    "Well she has a few bruised ribs, her right arm is broken from the shelf falling on her, her left leg is fractured and she inhaled a lot of smoke so her lungs aren't doing the best at the moment. She seems in good spirits, though, but I'd like to keep her here for a few days to monitor."

    "Do I need surgery or anything?" Maya inquired curiously. She had to know if there was a possibility of her dying because of this injury. "Like for my leg or arm?"

    Doctor Hunt took out Maya's x-rays and showed them to Carina, who knew exactly how to read them, before he spoke again. "It could be possible that we have to amputate your leg. It was impaled pretty badly."

    Maya sighed when she heard that she had a rough chance of even keeping her leg. How would she continue running? Would she get a prosthetic leg? Could she even continue being a firefighter?

    "Bambina, don't let this stop you," Carina said, pulling Maya out of her thoughts. "Everything will be okay, I promise. You are strong. You are Captain Maya Bishop and you are the strongest person I've ever met in my life."

    "Thank you, Carina," Maya said softly as she kissed Carina's hand.

    The next few days were rough for the couple. Maya had found out that an infection spread throughout her leg, meaning that her condition was destabilizing and she would need to amputate her leg sooner rather than later. Doctor Hunt was trying to get Maya to amputate today, but so far, she was not budging from her decision.

    "No, not going to happen. Sorry Doctor Hunt, Doctor Lincoln. I'm keeping my leg," she said firmly to the two doctors standing at the foot of her hospital bed. Carina had run with Andrew to get some coffee, leaving Maya to fight with her doctors.

    "Maya, we need to amputate. This infection is spreading through the rest of your body," Doctor Lincoln said. "If we don't amputate, you could die within the next couple of hours."

    "I'm so sorry, Maya, but Link's right. If we don't treat the infection by taking away the source, you will die today," Doctor Hunt said sympathetically to the blonde, who huffed in response. She was still unsure of this decision.

    "I'm waiting until Carina gets back then," she said as she crossed her arms and looked at the TV, currently playing her favourite crime show, NCIS.

    When Carina came back with Andrew and her cup of coffee, she expected to see Maya sitting up in bed, but she was met with an empty hospital room and nobody in sight. Not even her own girlfriend.