Meant To Be

Engine 19. Ladder 19. Aid Car 19. California wildfire.

    All the firefighters jumped into action once their Klaxon went off. They were just called to a wildfire in northern California, meaning they would have to drive for a few hours before entering the scene to help put the fire out.

    In the engine sat Lieutenant Andy Hererra, Lieutenant Maya Bishop, and Victoria Hughes. Lieutenant Jack Gibson, Dean Miller and Captain Robert Sullivan were in the ladder while Travis Montgomery and Doctor Ben Warren were in the aid car. The three drivers, Andy, Dean and Travis were careful, but quick, to get to the wildfire.

    This wildfire had been going on for three days, and Station 19 just got called in to help and relieve other fire stations from their duties.

    "How are things with you and Carina?" Andy asked her best friend, while not taking her eyes off the road. Luckily, the three women were in the truck by themselves, to stay away from prying ears of their male co-workers.

    Maya smiled, showing a slight blush on her cheeks as she thought about her Italian girlfriend of twenty-two months. They had met at Joe's the night that Maya ran into Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital with a patient's nose, which fell off after being mauled by a bear. They quickly hit it off and have been together ever since. Of course, being a typical couple, they have had their ups and downs, but mostly ups.

    "We're good, we're good," the blonde said with a huge grin. It was not normal for Maya to have a monogamous relationship, as she always said that "monogamy was for the weak," something her father had contributed to with his "eyes forward at all time" spiel.

    Lane Bishop had always been tough on Maya. He encouraged her to try-out for track and cross country, and always pushed her to do her very best. All her hard work paid off, because she traveled to the 2012 Olympics in London and won a gold medal in her race, with a sprained ankle. It was not until recently that Maya had come to terms with the fact that her father was abusive towards her, and she cut him out of her life completely.

    Maya's mother, Katherine, is a saint. She was the one who realised the abuse from Lane, and encouraged Maya to leave while she could. Of course, being the daddy's girl she was, Maya failed to see her dad's abusive ways. For example, Maya was not allowed to socialise with anyone and was forced to train 24/7. When she did not listen to him, he would drive her to the track and make her run 30 laps before letting her leave. But he would not drive her home. He would leave the track and drive himself, but leave Maya to walk, or run, home.

    Years later, Maya found it hard to get her father's words out of her brain, but with Carina's help, she was able to get past the abuse and finally see what her mother had been trying to tell her since high school.

    "How's the proposal coming?" Vic asked from the back, breaking the silence that had fallen upon the three women. That is correct, Maya was planning on proposing to Carina soon. Their two year anniversary was coming up and Maya had decided it was time for them to be married. After many long talks with her therapist, she realised that monogamy was in fact not for the weak, and she should be able to let herself love without having death set her free, a coping mechanism that she had used previously.

    Maya blushed as her two best friends watched her pull something from her shirt pocket, a small black box. She opened it, and Andy could see a bright diamond ring sitting inside. "Born ready, Vic. I've got a whole plan and everything."

    "Damn Bishop, that thing's gorgeous," Andy said as she took a quick glance and continued watching the road. "She's going to love that."

    "You think?"