Chapter 1

Chapter 1

  ‘Boring…. boring… even more boring… I can’t believe people get paid for this..’

  I bit the inside of my lip as my pencil traced the paper. Lines. Shapes. Numbers. Equations. Data. Constellations.

  All of it being constructed on a simple sheet of college ruled notebook paper.
“America!”

  A hand slammed down on my paper. I looked up to see my teacher glaring down at me, and I glared right back.

  “Can you tell me what I just said?” Teacher asked, truth be told I had no clue.

  A few kids snickered around me but I chose to ignore them.

  “Nope.” I shrugged my shoulders, leaning back in my chair. “Guess it was too boring for me to pay attention to.”

  A few gasps and “oooo!”s whispered their way through the room.

  “Detention. I’ll see you after school.” Teacher glowered, grabbing my sheet of paper I’d been working on.

  “I want that back.” I stood up.

  “Detention for tomorrow too then.”

  The paper was ripped up and thrown in the garbage can.

  “Oh you b-“

  The bell rang and the whole class quickly shuffled and hurried out the door. I huffed and grabbed my backpack, slinging it over one shoulder.

I walked right out of there with my head held high. I wasn’t about to be beaten by some old hag with an Education Degree.

  “Detention for a week!” Teacher called out after me as I slammed the door.

  “Whatever…” I muttered while walking to my locker.

  I shoved my bag into the locker and grabbed my lunch. I glanced at the small mirror in the interior and smirked at my reflection. Oh yeah I was pretty hot. Red, white, blue, and the ultimate country. My best feature however (there were many to choose from), had to be my eyes.

  As blue as sea to shining sea.

  “Ame! Ame!” A high, feminine voice rang out down the hall.

  “Oh hey Japan.” I said cooly, shutting my locker. “What’s got you in such a rush?”

  “You left your book in class again.” Japan chuckled shyly, politely offering me the book.

  “Oh. Thanks.” I tossed the book in the trash as we walked down the hall.

  “I saw your teacher yell at you again… did you get into trouble again?” Japan's red eyes flitted over nervously.

  “Yeah but it wasn't my fault. She was messing with my stuff.” I grumbled as we walked into the lunch room.

  “Hey guys!” The Philippines waved to us as we walked over to our usual spot."

  “Hi Phil.” Japan smiled, sitting next to me.

  I drowned out the sounds of Japan and Phils chattering, they were the only really talkative ones out of the group. Germany and Finland sat silently across from me, neither of them eating much or making eye contact with anyone.

  I took a massive bite out of my cheeseburger and chewed slowly and methodically as my mind wandered. Thinking about space travel, how much school sucked, tomorrow's meeting…

  “Are you going tomorrow?” Germany asked, as if reading my thoughts.

  I swallowed and nodded.