Epilogue I

Epilogue I

Two years later.

  “Are you enjoying the view sir?”

  “Yes, I like New York city. It's like its own world out there.” I replied, turning to one of the workers who had spoken to me.

  I had built the Twin Towers last year as a place to centralize global trade and as a show of economic power. This place was my eyes to the world, somewhere where I felt I could see everything, and be connected to everyone. It was peaceful here.

  “I guess I should get back to all those boring meetings huh?” I chuckled, and the man next to me nodded. “Well you never know what's going to happen, guess you have to be prepared for anything.

  I walked over to a nearby coffee pot and grabbed a styrofoam cup, humming softly as I made myself a delicious concoction of sugar and caffeine. As I lifted the cup to my mouth to take a sip-

  Screams.

  Shattering glass.

  Explosions.

  Heat.

  Fire.

  Darkness.
_________________________________________

  “He- hey! Theressomeone- down -ere!”

  What… what was happening… it was so… so hot….

  Hands- hands grabbing me.

  Ow.

  Ow.

  It's so dark.

  Make it stop- please-
_________________________________________

  “An- hear…me? Canyouher… canyou-re-me?”

  I gasped as I felt  my face being covered and fresh air streaming into my lungs. There were voices in the darkness, but I couldn't seem to find them. The sirens were so loud too… just be quiet. Please.

  “Wh-whatsyour-ame-”

  What? I can't understand you, ow… my face hurts…. Can you make it stop?

_________________________________________

  I woke up screaming.

  I'm on fire.

  Everything is on fire.

  “HELP!” I tried to scream but my mouth could only make pained choking sounds. “HELP ME!”

  Why was it so dark? There were noises and beeps and fragments of speech but I couldn't make sense of it all. I found myself crying but that burned even more.

  I was so weak.

  Helpless.

  Help.

  Help me.

  Someone.

  Anyone.

  Save me.

  Save me.
_________________________________________

  I don't know how long I was out, or how many times I had woken up, all I knew was I was awake for real this time.

  The soft beeping from a heart monitor told me that I was in a hospital. But …. Why?

  I slowly sat up, and tried to open my eyes. That's when I realized there were bandages and gauze holding them down.