Chapter 3

Chapter 3

  My eyes snapped open.

  “What…” I breathed, looking around the room, there was no one in sight.

“Over here. I think.”

  The computer screen flashed to life. I almost fell on top of myself trying to get to it.

  “No way… my program… it worked!” I ran my fingers through my hair, grinning like a little kid. “You’re real.. I did it! Yes! Who’s the best?? It’s me!” I pumped my fist in the air.

  The program let out an electronic laugh. Which was almost freaky in a way.

  “Yes I work. Is there anything I can do for you?”

  “Hmm… run a potential trajectory for the prototype of the Explorer 1 project.” I commanded, praying my skills had paid off.

  “Running trajectories.”

  The computer screen flashed again.

  Diagrams and orbit paths filled the screens a long with hundreds of equations and numbers. All my theories, notes, research, tests, it was all here inside of this program. It could run the math so I could build. We could work faster, become smarter, learn more about space exploration in ways no one else could.

  “This is amazing…” I whisper, sinking into the office chair behind me. “We’ll have the project finished and launched in no time. Hmmm… I need a super awesome name for you. Unless you have one already.”

  “I do not have a name.”

  “Hmmm how about Space Program Of Awesomeness? Or Communist Beater? Or Super Duper Cool Computer Thingy Made By The Best Country Ever?”

  “Those names seem rather long.”

  “Hey! I made you! I can name you whatever I want to.” I pouted, crossing my arms. “Speaking of you… no one can know you easiest okay?”

  “Does this include your family?”

  “Yes. No Canada, or Australia, or New Zealand, or France. Especially not Britain. And if Soviet some how finds out about you, throw all your data into the super secret back up drive and self destruct, got it?”

  “I understand.”

  “Good… good…” I sighed, leaning back in my seat.

  Finally, something was going right tonight. I was on top of the world, and I wasn’t about to let anyone take it from me.
_________________________________________

  "Ugh this blows…" I muttered, laying my face down on the desk.

  School sucked and I was tired from staying up all last night tampering with the AI program I'd created. It had been long and hard work but I needed to get my own satellite up in the air, and fast. I couldn't let that commie keep showing off like that.

  "Then leave." Finland shrugged, taking a sip of coffee he'd brought from home.

  "You're a genius Fin." I blinked, wondering why I hadn't come up with such a simple but brilliant idea.

  I got up out of my seat and walked out, no one even tried to stop me. It was weirdly wayyy to easy. Whatever.

  I made my way down the empty halls, running my finger in the grooves of the tiles as I zoned out. Where to go… what to do … food sounded kinda good. I changed course and headed for my locker.