Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Canada's POV

  “Canada? The front office is calling for you.”

  I looked up from my notebook in surprise and concern. Front office? America was probably in trouble again.

  I gave her a polite nod and smile before quietly exiting the room and making my way to the office. Had Ame done something bad? Illegal? Had he run off? Blown something up?

  “Oh hello Canada.” The principal said, smiling at me. “I think you're the perfect candidate to show around our new student. This is Ukraine, he’ll be joining us this year.”

  “Hello.” I waved to the boy, who was standing shyly behind the principal.
“Im Canada, it's nice to meet you.”

  The yellow and blue faced boy glanced at me for a second, his expression hiding behind a surgical mask that covered the lower half. He shifted uncomfortably, rubbing his arms, covered in marks and nicks.

  “Hi.” Ukraine said softly, looking at the floor.

  “He's a little anti-social, but I'm sure you two will get along just peachy. Why don't you show him around the school for a bit before taking him with you to class. I'm sure it's a lot for him, it's his first time a school.” The principal informed me, I nodded and gestured for Ukraine to follow me out.

  “Were you homeschooled before?” I asked as I began showing him around the first floor.

  He only gave a slight nod in reply.

  I didn't mind the fact that he was quiet and not very responsive. I had always been called the quiet one in my family after all, and school was a very overwhelming place. He kept looking around and fidgeting with his mask. He kept looking at everything with an expression of confusion and slight wonder, it was cute- in a lost puppy kind of way.

  “Are you alright? You look a little stressed, we can take a break and sit in the library if you'd like.” I said gently.
“Can you breathe okay in that? I don't want you to feel claustrophobic.”

  “I'm fine. I just don't like germs.” Ukraine replied, his voice guarded.

  “That's okay, I'll make sure to wash my hands extra then.” I gave him a thumbs up. “Whatever makes you comfortable.”

  Ukraine looked at me, for real this time. His face a mix of surprise and hesitation, as if that were somehow the nicest most considerate thing anyone had ever said to him. 

  I was about to ask him if there was anything he'd like to see, when a loud commotion started up in the hallway next to us. We exchanged glances before quickly turning the corner to see what was wrong. My heart skipped a beat as I looked at the scene.

  A smaller boy, with a red and white face with a blue eye patch over one eye, who I didn't recognize, was cowering on the floor in fear from the two boys in front of them. My brother was there- shaking and sobbing, a broken and terrified expression on his face as he was being threatened by the boy in front of him. The other boy's face filled with pained rage as he smacked my brother across the cheek- hard- and whispered lowley, fists balled.

  “I am not my father.” The boy in the ushanka snarled.

  My brother bolted away a full speed, I tried to call out his name but my voice failed me.

  “That's my brother…” Ukraine said with a worried sign next to me.

  “M-mine too.” I managed, shaken and confused by what was going on.