Chapter 7

Chapter 7

“Bold”- TV broadcast
Bold- Computer Program
Normal- America

  “How's the connection?”

Stable, shall I install the updates?

  “Not yet, I want to get the frame finished. I don't want this thing having opinions on how it wants its body to look when it wakes up.” I sighed, tossing my wrench to the side as I flopped down in my chair. “I guess I have to order more polycarbonate and titanium to finish the exterior.”

I am sure NASA will be happy with whatever body you give him.

  “He can suck it up if he doesn't.”

Very well, I will finish up completing what's left of his internal data and give him my memory drive. When my work is finished, and NASA is up and running to full capacity, will you please destroy me?

  “No.”

  But my existence would only slow down your work, you could use my parts and storage to upgrade your current equipment, America you must keep moving forward-

  “Will you stop that already?” My voice was filled with harsh annoyance. “For the last time I'm not shutting you down. Why do you seem so content to end your life anyways? You're so self absorbed.”

I am created in your image, perfected in your eyes.

  “Don't get smart with me.” I stood up and rummaged through my tool box, looking for nothing in particular, just simply trying to get out of the situation. “Im nothing like you. I care about my survival, I'm not a tool.”

But we would both do anything to complete our goal. Mine is to help you, and yours is to make it to the top. We want to reach the moon. I will do all I can to make that happen. Even without me, you still have people to boost you up. Like that boy you met in the woods.

  “Yeah…” I muttered, looking out the window at the treeline.

  It had only been a few days ago, but it felt like weeks for some weird reason. And that guy- Russia he’d called himself- was starting to make a permanent home in the back of my mind. I didn't like it. He was a distraction. Rude, annoying, selfish, stupid-

  “America?” My mothers voice called from outside the door. “Your friends are at the door.”

  “Coming!” I yelled back- throwing a cloth over NASA incomplete frame and grabbing my phone off my desk.

  Why were my friends here? I hadn't gotten any messages from them saying they were coming, did something happen?

  “Hi America!” Japan greeted in her usual bouncy tone, Germany, Finland, and Philippines standing with her.

  “Grab your shoes and let's go!”

  “Where are we going?” I rubbed my head, my hair getting a little messy as I did so.

  “We're getting lunch and then going to the mall!” She replied, nodding in excitement.

  “And you couldn't have given me a heads up?” I asked, shoving my feet in some tennis shoes and stepping outside.

  “Well we didn't want you to cancel on us. Usually if we text you, you make up an excuse or ditch last minute.” Phil replied shyly.

  “And you're letting her drag us to the mall of all places?” I looked at Germany and Fin directly.

  Finland shrugged and Germany didn't look up from the article he was reading on his phone as we walked.

  None of us could drive obviously, being 13 and all, but I really wished we could. I wanted to drive a car so badly, mabe even race in one. It sounded so cool. I had changed what car was my “dream car” every few months, so I didn't even know what kind I wanted. But it had to be fast. Super fast. And be a cool color.