Chapter 15

Chapter 15

  “One small step for man- one giant leap- for mankind.”

  The entire room erupted into cheering and laughing and hugging as our astronaut had touched his foot down onto the moon's surface.

  “WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HELL YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!” I yelled at the top of my lungs.

  My phone exploded with messages from family and friends, and I felt myself about to cry. Everyone in the launch room was congratulating me and NASA smiled down at me. I smiled back up at him and to even my surprise, I pulled him into a hug.

  “Thanks Nas…” I said, squeezing his cold frame tightly.

  “You're welcome sir.” He held me, but it seemed unsure.

  I let go and continued to grin.

  “We just kicked some Soviet ass!” I said excitedly, opening my phone and seeing all the congratulatory texts from my family and friends. “We finally did it!”

  “Does that mean it's the end for me?” NASA asked, cocking his head.

  “No way!” I shook my head. “This is just the beginning! We can do more trips to the moon, we can send probes into deep space, explore other planets in our solar system and so much more! And one day I'll go up there too and see them for myself.”

  “Well I'll be sure to keep you on task then sir.” NASA replied with a curt nod. “Let's keep working hard.”

  “Agreed. The missions not over yet. We still have to bring them home.”

  “Then bring them home we shall.”
_________________________________________

  The next time I saw Soviet was at the next world meeting, one to celebrate my victory. He managed to corner me as I grabbed a drink.

  “America.”

  “Commie bastard.” I spat back, glaring at the bigger man.

  “You won.” He stated.

  “Of course I won.” I replied. “Don't keep on picking this fight.”

  “Don't cross me again in the future, or you won't be so lucky.” He snarled, glowering down at me.

  “Not going to be a problem. You're obsolete now, old man.” I took a sip of my drink.

  “You're an ungrateful child. No wonder your father is so disappointed in you. I would be disgusted to have a son like you.”

  “I hate my dad. I'm sure your kids hate you too.”

  A punch swung down and struck my face. I stumbled and fell to the floor, everyone's eyes were on us now. Soviet lifted his foot and placed it on my chest. I wheezed as I struggled for air.

  “My children respect me.” He growled. “And I'll make sure it stays that way so they never turn out like you.”

  He let go of me and stepped back. I sat up, coughing violently, flipping him off.

  “Oh and one more thing.” Soviet said as he turned, glancing at me over his shoulder. “If I ever catch you in my woods again I'll shoot you.”

  And then, with a swish of his long coat, he was gone.
_________________________________________

  The next few days were like a whirlwind.

  With the success of my Apollo 11 mission, I had been declared the winner of the space race.

  Our property had been filled with reporters until my father shooed them away. I was called in for interviews, speeches, meetings with the astronauts, photographs, awards, statements, and celebrations.