Chapter 5

Chapter 5

“Bold”- TV broadcast
Bold- Computer Program
Normal- America

"Today we are excited to announce the launch of Explorer 2 America’s second satellite. Set to launch and run the same course as its predecessor, a medium Earth orbit. It’s planning to run a course of 120 days."

  There were people watching now.

  No. Not just people. Everyone. Everyone was watching.

  Now that our space race had been made public, things were beginning to pile up inside me. The stress, the tension, excitement, the overwhelming anticipation.

  I fidgeted with the edge of the buttons on the pad I was holding. 10…9…8…
My chest moved slowly up and down, my mouth curved into a confident smirk, but my chest beat like drums on the battlefield. A soldier ready for war, but too scared to die.

  3…2…1…

  I pressed the button, my eyes glued to the rocket. I had done this before. I could do it again.

  She was off. Pushing into the sky. I sighed in relief. My creation had made it.

  “Wait…” I whispered, my eyes widening with realization.

  The instruments nearby beeped and buzzed, confirming what I was seeing. The fourth stage rocket had failed to ignite. Explorer 2 was falling back to earth.

  Amidst the screams and cries of the crowd, I could hear the softest chuckle of laughter escaping the lips of a single red country faced country. A single golden eye mocking me from the deep.

"Vanguard 1 has been the fourth successful Earth satellite to be launched. An extremely important win for America, and it’s being said this satellite is providing great earth environment and geodetic measurements in its data. Who knows what secrets are being uncovered as we speak?"

  "How's the data coming?" I spun around in my office chair, mindlessly nibbling the edge of my pen.

Swimmingly. We're getting good information.

  "Cool cool…" I muttered, lost in thought.

  Things were starting to become more stressful around here. The space race, school, my sleep schedule, my dad. It was like I never had a moment to breathe. One thing after the next, a constant whirlwind of life. Part of me enjoyed the business of it, the rush of adrenaline and the victory of satisfaction for my troubles. But part of me just wanted to take a step back, be able to sleep for 14 hours every once in a while and raid mom's kitchen with my brothers, build bonfires or play sports.

  No.

  I didn't have time for silly thoughts.

  "America- Ame- look at this!" Canada walked swiftly in the door, shoving his phone practically into my lap as he made his way over to my side.

  "Oh boy…" I grumbled, seeing the news logo pop up on the screen.

"The Sputnik 3 has just been launched successfully. The satellite is now on it's mission for data collection, to collect information on the upper atmosphere and near space. It seems the Soviet Union is set on catching up to its competitor."

  "Copy cat." I shrugged, pretending to unbothered as I tossed back the phone. "He's just mad cause I'm winning."

  "I know… just…" Canada shifted from foot to foot.

Catching Starlight (America Countryhumans Fanfic)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara