Epilogue II

Epilogue II

Eight years later. 

  “Morning Stripes.”

  “Mmmm five more minutes Commie.” I yawned, not opening my eyes.

  “It's morning, even the sun's up.” Russia sighed. 

  “If I can't see it it's not up.”

  “You're literally blind.”

  “Shut the hell up.” I sat up, grabbing my pillow and trying to use it to smack my boyfriend. 

  The lack of a smacking sound told me I had missed. 

  “Nice try.” Russia smiled, and I felt his lips pressed against mine, but I could feel the worry on his expression. 

  “I'll be fine.” I assured him.

  “I know, I'm just going to miss you. We’ve never been this far apart before.” He sighed, I heard the blankets shift.

  “Relax, we’ve sent like a billion astronauts to space before. Have there been accidents in the past? Well yes, but you know I've been working hard with NASA to improve the space program.” I said, sliding out of bed and taking two steps forward to the dresser, finding my shirts in the top drawer and grabbing the first one. “You could have come with me- I did offer.”

  “You know how I feel about flying…” Russia mumbled. 

  “Hey.” I turned around and felt my way to Russia's legs, my finger tracing over the stump on his right side and kissing him on the lips. “You're okay now. And you're still handsome as ever.”

  “You're so cheesy.” He muttered, but I could hear the gratitude in his voice. 

  “Are your siblings coming to the launch?” I asked, standing back up and stretching. 

  “Yeah they are.” Russia nodded. 

  “Well I figured Ukraine was since Canadas coming. They're so cute together- but not as much of a power couple as us.”

  “Yeah.” He chuckled. 

  The two of us got ready for the day and Russia made breakfast. I'd gotten decent enough at cooking basic food over the years, but Russia cooked faster and we couldn't be late for the launch. I took Russia's hand and we walked out to the car together (the driver's license was not an option for me).

  I fiddled with the radio as Russia drove towards NASA headquarters. It should have been named ‘America's Super Awesome Space Place’ but that was turned down by my friends and family. 

  I felt the thrill and nerves flow through me as we got closer. I'd sent so much into space, but it would be the first time going myself. I secretly wished Russia was coming with me, but I respected his choice to stay. 

  “We’re here.” Russia said, putting the car in park. 

  I hopped out, grabbing my cane and taking Russia's hand when we reached the front of the car. As soon as I walked into the familiar building my nerves began to calm. This place felt like home. 

  “Hello sir.” NASA greeted me exactly five seconds after I walked in the door as he always did. 

  “Hey Nas, ready for the big day?” I grinned.

  “Im well prepared.” NASA replied. “Germany arrived an hour ago. Seems he took up your offer to be flight partners last minute. He's already thrown up from nerves.”

  “Wonderful! We’ll have a great trip then. He's hard to drag away from his work and his boyfriend.” I hummed, nodding. “Have any of the others shown up yet?”