The Boy Next Door Owes Me Oreos.(19)

This is not what I expected try-outs to look like. Ever since the first day I played on this field with Chase, Jamie and the rest of the goons they associated with and they mentioned how hard it was to get into soccer, I got nervous. I was captain of the girls soccer team back home, and I knew that fall would suck unless I could play. I pictured an odd form of boot camp for the next two weeks… but what I got was a handful of girls and a sea of guys.

    I would have worried I was in the wrong spot for the girl soccer try-outs if Jamie and I didn’t run in to the rest of the girls I had already played with.

    “Where is everyone?” Taunya asked everyone, but clearly was ignoring me.
    “I don’t know…” Jamie said, looking around.

    “This isn’t enough people.” Chelsea pointed out and they just glared at her, telling her wordlessly that it was obvious.

    Suddenly Ryan, Forrest and Ricky strutted over. “Well girls, didn’t you hear the news? With the recent budget cuts the girls soccer team got cut as well.” Immediately our eyes snapped to theirs viciously.

    “Excuse me?!” Taunya demanded but before we could get anymore answered the coach came up and looked surprised to see six girls who were about to attack these guys.

    “Ladies…” he said soothingly. “I thought we had told everyone that their will be no female soccer team this year.”

    Suddenly so many people were talking it was overwhelming. All the girls were screeching about how unfair that was, Taunya and Morgan were the worst. After he quieted us down, everyone was huffing and puffing.

    “I’m sorry ladies, but there isn’t anything we can do… it wasn’t our choice there just isn’t enough money.” Everyone looked angry, but the statement shocked me.

    “Well then why doesn’t Sylvia asked her Daddy to pay for it, it’s not like they don’t have the money.” Taunya and Morgan snickered. I glared at them more than confused.

    “Excuse me?!” I demanded.

    “You’re Dad’s a doctor, he could afford it.”

    “He’s a surgeon actually, and YEAH he probably could but I don’t know WHAT it’s to you!” I yelled at her. “Besides we shouldn’t be talking about my parents income we should be talking about the fact WE DON’T HAVE A SOCCER TEAM.” The coach was doing nothing but staring at us, so I glared at the short stubby man. “I’ve played with all your stars on your mens’ soccer team, and I wiped the field with their faces. I’m better than a lot of them and I’m sure these girls feel the same way.”

    “What are you suggesting I do?” The coach demanded and I narrowed my eyes at him.

    “I’m saying we should have a chance to make team, just like all of them.” I gestured to the large group of guys, some of them laughed.

    “This is a GUYS team.” Couple of the shouted other rude things but I ignored them along with the rest of the girls.

    “You’re just a bunch of girls!” A tall one yelled also.

    “We should have a chance.” I insisted. “They shouldn’t be so worried if we’re just a bunch of girls.” I sneered at the tall one who made a sexual hand movement that the coach helpfully overlooked.

    It seemed like a really good idea at the time, and all the girls were pumped that they still had a chance on a team and play the game they clearly loved… but as we started stretching and doing runs we immediately noticed the coach wasn’t going easy on any of us. Even the guys were struggling and I could tell that porky man was putting us through a test.

    “Come on girls. You gonna let a few jumping jacks get you down?” the coach asked sarcastically to everyone and I felt my anger growing. It had been much more than a few jumping jacks. We had already ran around the field seven times. My legs felt like rubber but at least I was handling it better than majority of the guys, and all of the girls. Running every morning and night really toned my legs. The sprints were the worst, half the field under 30 seconds but I made it every time with Chase.

    “Your keeping up nicely princess.” Chase gasped and I just glared at him as coach blew the whistle before even half the guys got to the line. Chase and I took off through the crowd of guys who looked as if they were about to fall over from exhaustion, racing to the goal.

    The thing that happened next went by so fast I didn’t know what was happening until I was going face first into the ground. Chase had slipped his leg out and blocked my foot from going forward, making me tumble to the ground. What he didn’t know what before I was a star athlete I was a cheerleader I knew how to take falls. I flipped over a couple times, felt the rocks dig into my knees but jumped up and kept running. My knees were burning but I still made it being the white line before most of the guys.

    When we took a break I used my adidas shorts to wipe away some of the blood. Coach just had to point it out.

    “You’re bleeding.” I just nodded at his words. “You kept running even after you fell…” it wasn’t a question so I didn’t say anything. I could tell I impressed him though, I knew he had to of known Chase was the one to make me fall by the way guilt was written all over his face.

    When it was finally six o’clock my Mom pulled around the front of the school and I climbed in. Everyone stared as I got in, probably because this car clearly cost more than a lot of the others in the parking lot. If I had known my jobs occupation could be used against me I wouldn’t have told anyone. I didn’t know why it mattered to anyone.

    After the questions about my knees, we were driving past Abels house so I made my mom pull over. “I’ll be home in a half an hour, hour tops kay?” I asked and she was already pulling away.

    Abel noticed me before I made it to him and sat up surprised. “What happened?” He asked and I shrugged.

    “Chase couldn’t handle  being beat by a girl so he tripped me.” Abel looked more angry than I thought he would be. After settling him down by convincing him I was okay, he insisted on taking me inside and cleaning up my knees.

    “I don’t think this is necessary.” I said, hoisting my sore overworked body on the downstairs bathroom sink. Abel wasn’t listening as he got out the biggest first aid kit I’ve ever seen anyone own.

    “Sometimes the littlest cuts hurt the most, and can get infected the quickest. Also tomorrow wear shorts again.” I was planning on it, but I waited for Abel to explain. “Chase is one of those guys who don’t get off on the pain he inflicts in others. Him seeing the scrapes will throw him off him game because he’ll feel bad.”

    I just stared at Abel as he applied rubbing alcohol to my knees. I winced but Abel noticed how incredulous I was. “How do you know this?” I asked, and Abel put more than enough pressure to get alcohol into the scrapes. I pulled away, wincing. “Abel… it’s just a couple scrapes.” I insisted jumping off the sink counter. “I’m going to be fine.” I ruffled his hair for a second before an older woman stepped in, looking shocked.

    “Abel! Your father is going to be home…” There was a silent warning in her words as Abel guided me through the door.

    “You should go home, you don’t want to be here.” Abel said pushing me gently through the back door. “Go home. I’ll see you tomorrow.” He gave me a small smile before closing the door. I didn’t know what to think as I walked home.

DUNNDUNNDUNNNNNNNNNN
tell me what you think~