The Boy Next Door Owes Me Oreos (44)

<<Vote? Okay, thanks.
Comment? Yeaah buddy!

School is kicking my butt. -.- I hate it again.

 *********************************************************************************

The entire car ride was full of silence and tears of fear. I didn't know what I was going into when I got to that hospital, all I knew was that my best friend could have a paper cut, or life support. My heart had shiveled up and become useless and I was having a hard time breathing as my Mom insisted on driving me. 

“I have my license.. you can go to bed.” I struggled to talk as worry consumed me as I began throwing on my favorite sweatpants and hoodie. IN times of distress I forget that outside out of the house regardless to the fact it's 11, it's going to be hot, but I was unaffected as we rushed out of the house together.

“You're my daughter, and you're crying. I will never leaving you to deal with something like this on your own.” My Mom said before jumping in the car, without missing a beat. At that moment in time, my heart wasn't so dead and in pain, but it ached making me cry. “Sylvia.. it's going to be okay.” She reassured me as we sped to the hospital.

“Why are you being so nice to me? I was awful to you... Mom I'm so sorry.” I cried, and I saw her have a small smile.

“I know sweetheart, we have lots to discuss but right now Abel needs you more than anything. I love you.”

It was foolish to fear that in such a big hospital I would see my Father, but it didn't stop me from dreading the fact I actually might. When I got there though, all thoughts our fears that were selfish and not surrounded by Abel were completely forgotten as his mother met us at the main entrance. It was obvious she had spend the brunt of her trip to the hospital crying for her son, and also taken a few punches. Her right eye was slight swollen and she had a fast bottom lip. That poor little woman that had more than enough to deal with had to take his from an ungrateful a**hole. I wanted to commend her for her courage but I count being myself to say anything all the way to the elevator, on the way up, or on the floor to Abels room.

They hadn't expected me to though, until I got outside of his room and his mom stopped me, teary eyed. '' He may look bad Sylvia but the doctors say he should make a full recovery in six to right weeks.” She smiled sadly and my stomach fell. I knew what had happened at his house, it was obvious what had happened.

I froze outside his room '' Are you sure he wanted to see me?” I worried aloud and both mothers gave me incredulous looks. “The last time we talked nothing went right, maybe I'll make everything worse.” I insisted, but before anything else could be said Sarah was nudging me into the doorway.

“He called out your name, more than my own. I feel like you two need to talk, go go.” My heart hurt when she admitted that with so much pain in her voice, and I walked into his room sure I wouldn't be able to handle seeing that poor, frail little woman cry.

But that seemed like a much easier thing to face than what I was looking at. Once the thick wooden door closed behind me, I froze, unable to move a muscle as I looked at the boy laying in the bed. It wasn't Abel, that small, pale boy couldn't be the Abel that had reduced me to tears for more than two hours straight. He looked so young and breakable.

A sob broke through, and his head that was turned away from the door, towards the window slowly turned to look at me. Abel had clean tubes attached to his nose for oxygen, a heart monitor that kept a steady beep, and other contraptions I didn't understand. He looked horrible, and making eye contact made me cry harder.

“Sylvia?” He breathed, his voice raspy. The pain I knew he must be feeling, by looking at his black and blue face, and the white bandage on the right side of his forehead made me wince and cry. “You came.” Abel smiled, before retracting in pain because of his own fat lip, he seemed to have the same injuries and his Mother, only he looked worse off.

“Of course.” I said stiffly, watching numbly as Abel struggled to sit up. It was then I noticed his arm in a bright blue cast. My eyes were glued to it, and it must have been obvious.

“It was either blue or pink... they didn't have many options in the emergency room.” Abel said lamely, and I was beside him in an instant helping him sit up by stuffing pillows behind his back. As I went to retract my hand, thinking Abel wouldn't want me to be touching him because I was that much of a horrible person he reached out and grabbed it, bringing my palm to encase his cheek. He closed his eyes, as if he was savoring a healing touch. It felt like my hand was burning in between his hand and cheek, so I pulled it away quickly. Abel's eyes snapped open, and he went to reach out for me again but I couldn't let him touch me. I took a marginal step back, unable to look at him. “Sylvia?...” He took a deep breath. “I'm sorry for the mean and hurtful things I said to you at lunch. I didn't mean a single word of them, I was just mad.” Abel explained, but I was already shaking my head.

“No, don't say you're sorry. You're right. I was a bad friend to you for not confiding in you... I've failed you so many times Abel.” My face puckered, and I threw my hands in my face to cry harder, realizing it was all my fault. It was obvious what had caused this, and I knew before it even happened. “I let this happen to you.” I cried into my hands, “I knew, I knew what you were living in and yet I let it continue because that is what you asked of me. This is my fault.” I insisted, and before I knew it hands were grabbing at my wrists pulling my hands away from my face.

“Sylvia, please stop crying.” Abel pleaded, watery eyed himself, holding my hands in his pulling me closer to him. I had very little resistance, letting him pull me towards the bed, fearing I might hurt him more if I pulled away from him roughly again. But when he tried to guide me on to his hospital bed to comfort me, I slowly pulled away.

“Abel. This is wrong, you shouldn't be the one to comfort me.” I pointed out, silently refusing to climb into his hospital bed.

“Are you really going to make the crippled kid wrestle you into bed? You look exhausted. Come here.” Abel laughed halfheartedly as I looked him in the eyes.

“I'm pretty sure I look marginally better than you, no offense.” I tried to joke, but my tears didn't make it funny. This weeks has sucked, and all I wanted to do was crawl into a dark hole. His bed had to be better then nothing though, as I cautiously climbed in. Abel's hospital bed was mostly an air mattress, so it wobbled awkwardly underneath us, and I barely touched Abel for the fear of harming him in anyway. He wheezed, and kept pulling his chest away from me.

“Ribs.” He said, looking in the opposite direction of my face. Still though I rested my hand on his left side, as light as a butterflies wings which made him look back at me.

“I should have told someone.” I whispered, clutching his hospital gown, and bringing my head to rest on his shoulder. I could feel Abel shaking his head no, as he brought his arms around to hold me comfortingly. This was the happiest I've felt all week, and I was mostly scared I was going to cause him pain by resting on him.

“No.” He breathed, and I could feel it moving my disgusting hair that was in a loose bun. Suddenly I felt extremely self conscious, and it must have been obvious because Abel tightened his arms around me. “I asked you not to tell anyone... It's my fault.”

I titled my head up and spotted a bruise underneath his chin that looked like a thumb print. I could only imagine... without thinking I pressed my lips gently against it, making Abel pull away slightly before smiling.

“What happened?” I asked, needing to know how that bas*ard hurt him... I'm sure if I asked my Dad for a favor, he could get one of this lawyer friends to take care of that heartless animal.

“I left school after our fight because I couldn't stand to be around anyone, and I walked home.”

“You.. walked home? Our houses are so far away.”

“I needed to cool off, but when I got home he was there and my Mom had gone to the hospital to discuss other options to take care of her condition, because they feel like making her go through more rounds of chemo will just kill her faster.” The way he was disregarding everything scared the crap out of me. “Without her there, the way he looked at me... it set me off and we started fighting. Not physical yet, just yelling at one another about how much we hated each other. I went upstairs so I didn't put my fist through his face, and we avoided one another until dinner.” He stopped talking abruptly and I softly pulled myself forward so we were face to face, and I thought thankfully that the door had been closed when I first entered because this would be awkward to be walked in on.

“Continue...” I breathed, running my fingers through his hair. He closed his eyes.

“My Mom was really shook up with they recommended a Cancer Physicality in Atlanta, that much was obvious. She was pouring him milk, when she split it. He was already mad because she got home late and made him wait for dinner... and earlier than that with our fight. He snapped and attacked her, even when she hit the ground he went to pick her back up, put her on her feet to continue hitting her.

“And then I snapped. It was the first time he had hit her since I threatened him, and I couldn't deal with it anymore. We fought right there in the kitchen, until my Mom was herself enough to call the police. I whisked away by ambulance. I went into surgery for them to correct my arm again, that'll be casted for awhile but at least I broke his nose.” Abel smiled triumphantly.

I shook my head. “I should have told someone.” Abel took my head in the palms of his hands and forced me to look him dead in the eye.

“Thank you for keeping my secret for so long.” He insisted, letting his hands drop so I could put my head in the nook of his neck. “But you don't need to anymore.” Abel sighed, keeping my face pressed against his cool skin. “When they were checking me out in the ambulance I was pretty out of it, and they saw me.” He wouldn't let me look at him, he kept my head there staring out the bright white room into the dark night, seeing the city lights only a short distance away.

“They know?” I breathed, feeling as if I was suffocating.

“They know everything, and they will be undergoing a serious investigation... but he's already been arrested because the evidence prominent against him. That's all I know about that though, I just wanted to talk to you before everything changed.” Abel spoke slowly, and for a long time we sat in silence.

“What's changing?” I finally asked, when I couldn't bare listening to the light buzz above our heads anymore.

“Authorities contacted my Father, my Mom has 48 hours with me before I have to go to Atlanta... with my Dad.” Abel explained, and I lost all sense of feeling as I tried to make sense of that.

“Wait, what?” I asked, and finally I was able to lift my head to look him in the eyes once again.

“I'm moving to Atlanta with my Dad, until my Mom can sell the house and then she will be moving up there too, for the state of the art facility.” As his words sunk in, I began to tear up.

“Abel... you're my best friend.” I told him sternly. “You're my only friend.” I cried, before throwing my head back on his neck so he wouldn't have to see me cry like a little baby. We laid there, with our arms around each other, as I cried my heart out, Abel rubbing small circles on my back comfortingly.

“You're my little super star. You don't need me... without me holding you back you're going to make tons of friends and be the ultra popular, scholarship winning soccer player. Besides, I think it will be better there. I'll see my Dad more than a week at Christmas, and my Mom will be healthier. And safer.” Abel continued shedding some light, and I continued crying.

“I'm going to miss you Abel.” I insisted. Abel hugged me tightly.

“Hey, don't talk like that. I still have two days here, and we can call each other, and text, skyping sounds fun... just promise to continue staying my friend when you start dating Chase.” Abel laughed at his unfunny joke and I retracted from him.

“Dating Chase? Never.” I swore persistently.

“I don't know I see that in your future.” Abel smirked, and I shook my head.

“How hard did he hit your head?” I stuck my tongue out at him. “Besides, there is this guy who means a little more to me. He's like 5'8, 5'9.. he has a broken arm and is pretty badly hurt... my biggest concern is he's leaving me for like ever in a couple days.” Abel smiled lightly. “Yeah, I think he surpasses Chase... but I guess he wont until I get to go up there and attend a university there.” I smiled widely at Abel's shock.

“I thought you were going for a scholarship for Tampa Uni. That is what Jamie said.” Abel pointed out.

“Oh please. Like I can go to that, while you're in Atlanta. False... if you want me up there.” I added the last part lamely, breaking the eye contact. Suddenly Abel pulled closer to me, and kissed me on the cheek.

“I'll be waiting up there for you.” Abel insisted, and before I knew it I pressed my lips to his. That kiss was quick, simple and sweet. We both smiled tooth full grins at one another.

“I'll be missing you.” I nodded. “But... I should probably let your Mom visit you though.” I laughed, and Abel let me get up. He rose on his bed at least 6 inches without my weight. “Man, those beds... suck.” We laughed, and I let our Mothers in.

*********************************************************************************

Hi hi Hi. Please don't hate me, you don't even understand. I CAVED. 
The ending of this post was supposed to be just friendly... and yeah that wasnt how i treat friends so. I CAVED. it was going to be a lot different, but while writing it, it just didn't feel right. 

Comment with your opinion?!