Chapter 4

"Oh...my...crap"

He had always been a "go along with it" kind of guy, "feel the wave" type of dude, "go with the flow" sort of man... but right now?

"I'm so screwed" he whispered as he peeked through the gaps of the door, eyeing what was very much, positively possible, a crew of pirates.

This...wasn't part of the plan.
Not that he ever had any...like ever.

But if Gary had a plan...this wouldn't be it.

"Okay" he sighed quietly, walking down the stairs that lead to a sitting area where assumed the pirates dined "alright" he walked back towards his barrel and crawled in, bringing the lid and closing it "very well"

When he had sneaked past the navy and stolen the crystal he had been thrilled that they had been distracted by pirates, taking the opportunity to run and hide until things calmed down.

He thought the place looked interesting, it looked rather cool, so he just walked right in, observing how two cat like creatures and a guy with a cool bandanna and gun hand were helping a.....he didn't know what it was but it looked like a shrivelled up left ballsack-
They didn't seem to notice him so he just hid there for a moment- at least that's what he had hoped for but now...

"I'm stuck in the middle of the sea with a bunch of pirates and they have no idea I'm here all because of you" he squinted at the small rock in his hands, it was as clear as water in the sunlight, glistening beautiful

"I still lob you though~" he cooed, kissing the crystal in his hands.

His moment of peace was quickly put to rest when he heard the door to the dining room open, heavy boots followed by other footsteps

"Little Cato" a strong voice called and Gary heard the clattering of chairs, peeking through the small hole he examined the man who remained stood up with his hands neatly behind his back.

He wore a pair of heavy looking boots made from very dark brown leather that was the same color as his big hat and his belt that carried a sword on one side of his hip and two small guns on the other. His hat represented a classic pirate's hat though a symbol on it looked like a cat- with his powerful voice, it wasn't hard to understand he was the captain.
Or should he say Cattain?

The man standing in middle of the room was just like the other two cat creatures Gary had seen the previous day (had he spent the night cooped up in a small barrel? Yes....yes he had).
His tail was hidden by the tail of his old looking, dark blue coat. A lighter brown leather vest buttoned all the way up and a formal white shirt underneath which Gary had noticed had some frills at the end of his sleeves.
He wore an eyepatch over his right eye, as classic pirate's would, and a very professional expression on his handsome face.

There was no mistaking it, Gary had seen his bounty on many walls before, this here was....Captain Bartolomew- one of the most feared pirates.

Gary bit the 8nsode of his cheeks, holding back a laugh at the realisation that Bartolomew was actually a cute name now that he knew he was a cat.

Bartolomew ....mew....mew...

No he wouldn't laugh.

"Yeah dad?" A voice called from the kitchen just behind Gary and the human felt his heart drop as he heard footsteps he hadn't yet heard.
He figured that, no...he must have simply missed them. Looking through the small peep hole, Gary noticed it was a much smaller ventraxian with a bandanna on his neck and fur as ginger as a Spanish orange.

"How's the food, son?" The Captain seemed to soften up at the sight of...his son? Bartolomew had a son?
Now this was news to Gary....not that he ever payed attention to pirates though.