Chapter 34

"I found fries!" Gary burst in holding food in his arms, a wide smile that fell only slightly at the awkward atmosphere "whoa...what's with the mood?" He blinked, dropping the food he scavenged on the table that was surrounded by Bartolomew's crew and Yak.

The air was thick, as if someone had told them the sky was actually red and pigs could fly- a sense of perplex seriousness around them.

"Gary- where did you get that?" Yak seemed to be the only one unaffected by whatever must have been happening before the blond had made himself present "those are for my employe--"

"Partners in crime!" Gary shoved some fries down Yak's mouth with a wide grin, watching the other process the forced food before he invited himself to the table.

"Wow" Gary whistled as he scanned the dining room "you guys hit a real jackpot here!" He rubbed his hand against the bronze wood of the table, taking in how smooth it felt in comparison to their previous one that was full of splitters, seeming unaware that he was the subject of their silence.

Some studied the human, comparing the cold and arrogant yet wise child to the open idiotic adult before them. Had Yak not made a mistake? Was the Gary he spoke of the same as this wanderer Gary they had come across?

"Here!" Gary seemed to be trying to feed Little Cato "try these while they're still warm" he grinned wide

Shaking his head in attempt to shake off his thoughts about the man before him, Little Cato smiled naturally- Gary's toothy grin being quite contagious.
He didn't hesitate to just take the food, munching it before his ears perked and he reached across to take another

"These are good" he said with a mouthful of fries, his father's scolding going unheard

"Thank you" Yak thanked, taking pride in how they seemed to enjoy the food cooked by his employees in his company

"Thank you!" Gary said with pride as if he had cooked these himself

Taking a moment to snack and talk, the previous story that Yak had told them like a mosquito flying around their ears, the crew ignored the urge to ask more questions. The subject long changed into how, apparently, Gary had stopped by Greece a few years back and caught a glimpse of Yak then who had a "Creepy mustache that looked like a horse's mane brush" as described by Gary.

"I think it's time you pirates begin packing and leading" Yak looked at a silver pocket watch that seemed old but well taken care off, his thick brows knitting with worry for a moment as he scratched his small beard

"Oh" Gary blinked "Gee...Already?" He scratched the back of his neck, almost surprised by his own disappointment.

Standing up, Gary ignored the weird look mixed with curiosity that Yak had given him- it must have been weird from how absent minded Gary had been the time he had bid farewell to Yak years back.
He cleared his throat and nodded with a smile as he placed his hands on his hips for a moment, taking in everyone's details as this might be the last time he'd see them- which is weird right?
This wasn't a first goodbye- why was Gary making this weird? Stop being weird Gary-

"I'll help you guys carry your stuff here" he gave another nod, messing with Little Cato's hair as he walked out

Most of Bartolomew's crew followed, while others stayed behind to prepare their departure.

"Gary..." Avocato called to the blond who was grabbing some of their things, which wasn't a lot but he insisted in helping

"You guys should take some things from the inn!" Gary suggested, already beginning to fold some blankets "Free stuff is good stuff"