Chapter 19

When noise had began to grow around them, Gary finally woke up. He could hear the chattering of the people around as well as the very quiet whispering of the pirates hiding in the wagon.
Sitting up, Gary stretched, thankful for the very much needed short nap. He checked in the horse, brushing his hand over Tim as he jumped off the wagon, mentally listing the things he had to do in the Capital before finally leaving.

Crowds were walking the streets and Gary was right to assume that it wasn't as many people as usual since they were near the Capital- which only meant that the population was far too big here.
He examined the tall buildings and how some workers were trying to make them even higher, it made Gary nauseous to think how high they were planning on building them- were those things even stable?

While he had been distracted by the "New World" plans, which were really just Lord Commander's work to make America the most futuristic part of Earth, he noticed a flier on a wall of a shop

"What's this?" He sang curiously as he walked closer to it, leaving the wagon behind. Gary spent days inside a barrel, they can handle being hidden in a wagon for a while

"You don't know?" The lady of the shop asked, she had just opened and was still cleaning up "it's only the biggest festival here"

"A festival?" Gary asked intrigued, festivals were just easy targets for his little thief hands who want to party

"Right" the lady laughed "it celebrates our new leader! Lord Commander!"

"Oh!" Gary forced a smile, unsure if he liked the guy who still allowed slavery but...a party is a party!

"By the way..." the blond leaned against the wall with a lopsided smile "Do you know any traders close by? Or a bank" he asked, shrugging at the last part

"There's a trader just down that street" the lady came closer, holding her broom close as she pointed towards a tight downhill "he ain't very famous but he makes really good deals" she nodded

"You speak from experience?" Gary stood properly with a chuckle

"That I do" the lady nodded with a short laugh

"Alright, thanks a ton!" Gary waved a wide smile as he made his way towards said direction, taking the jacket he stole from the marines more from his wagon before continuing ahead.

The street was more like an alley way, it was tight and there were houses on either side- Gary could tell from the ropes above him with clothes hanging from them to dry.

One of the houses was different though, it was a green color with clear doors, indicating it to be a shop. The outside had a bell and golden like lettering saying "Jack"

Unsure, the human still hade his way in, opening the door as slowly as possible to avoid the unavoidable sound of the bell.

As the bell rang and the door closed behind him, Gary was hit with the smell of pinetree and...well...money.
Inside there was a balcony, some seats made of wood, a door labeled "Deal room" and some stairs that lead upstairs.

There were skittering footsteps before a short figure popped up on the wooden balcony. It appeared to be some sort of spider-like alien with many arms and big round eyes

"Welcome" they greeted, two hands rubbing against eachother "I am jack of all trades- how may I be of service?"

"Jack of all trades?" Gary repeated

"Jack of all trades. How may I be of service?" Jack repeated

"Oh! Huuh- well I-- I want to trade a few things" Gary finally made his way to the balcony