Chapter 27

OUTSIDE THE PAWNSHOP

"Hell of a job melting it down Dr. Frankenstein." JJ says to Kiara.

"Like you could have done any better." Kie says.

"I could have done much better, I took a welding class." JJ says.

"When?" Kie asks.

"Chill out okay?" John B says.

"Easy for you to say, you're not the one who has to pawn this piece of shit off. How did I get this job anyways?" JJ says.

"Cause you're the best liar." Pope says.

"I'll do it." Jade says.

"What?" John B and JJ ask at once.

"Women are seen as more trustworthy," Jade says snatching the gold from JJ's hands.

"Good afternoon." Jade says, smiling.

"What can I do to help  you sweetheart?" The lady says, warmed by Jade's appearance.

"My mom had a jewelry cleanout and my stupid brother and his friends decided that it was a good idea to melt it down with a blow torch." Jade says casually, she put the block on the counter.

"Oh wow.. that's a lot of jewelry your mom has." the worker says, seeing the block of gold.

"Yeah well I can't wear any of it now so might as well get some money to buy my mom a nice gift." Jade says, the worker skeptic.

"That ain't real, it can't be." She laughs.

"Feel free to test it out." Jade says. 

"Mhm let's get some light on that." JJ says, butting his head into the conversation.

"Spray painted tungsten." The worker says.

"Really? Okay. Why don't you see how uh, how soft it is?" JJ asks.

"You mind?" She asks.

"You can go for it." Jade says, seeing the worker wack it down.

"Whoo, see that?" JJ asks.

"We ain't got to the acid test yet." The worker says.

"Ooh! The acid test. My favorite guys!" JJ says.

"You can test as much as you want." Jade says, in a calm manner.

"Well it ain't painted and it ain't plated." The worker says.

"My mom likes her jewelry pure," Jade says.

"Seven pounds? That's a lot of earrings." The worker says, weighing them.

"She likes her bangles." Jade says, nicely. The worker walked to the back to talk to someone.

"Can you not? I got this!" Jade whispers to JJ.

"I'm trying to help!" He whispers back.

"So uh, I talked to my boss. And uh.. this is what I can do." The worker says, putting a sticky note on the counter.

"$50,000? Her jewelry definitely cost more than that. It's at least 140." Jade says.

"Well, sweetie you're in a pawn shop. This ain't Zurich.. do I look swiss to you?" The worker says.

"Zurich is pretty nice... but I'd like to get at least 90." Jade says.

"70. Half price." The worker says.

"I can do that. Large denominations would be nice." Jade nods.

"There's not much denominated here. I can write you a cashier's check." The worker says.