Chapter 14

12 HOURS AGO

"What the hell? It better not be JJ." John B asks Sarah. The two were walking around the carnival when they saw a bunch of cops running.

"Yo guys!" JJ says, running up to John B and Sarah. The three all followed where the cops were running towards and saw the Kooks along with Jade.

"Jade!" Sarah yells, running over to them.

"Sarah call your dad!" Jade yells, the cops were handcuffing all of them. Kelce, Topper, Rafe and Jade.

"My phone's dead!" Sarah yells back.

"Call someone I don't care!" Jade yells back.

"Hey be quiet!" The cop yelled at Jade.

"Sorry!" Jade says, not meaning it.

MORNING - PRESENT

"You still not gonna talk to me?" Rafe asks Jade. They had stuffed all the Kooks into the jail cell.

"You escalated the situation!" Jade yells back.

"My mom's gonna kill me." Topper says, sighing.

"My mom's gonna handle this." Kelce says.

"Michaela's never gonna let us hear the end of it." Jade says.

The Kooks all heard the door open to see Michaela walking in with one of the officers.

"Come on, get your asses up. Now!" Michaela yells at them all. They all got up and walked out to the lobby where their parents were. The Lockes, Ward Cameron, and Dr. Thornton.

"We need you to sign these, to process the payment." A deputy says, handing Ward Cameron a clipboard.

"That won't be necessary, none of you are going to be paying bail.." Mrs. Locke says.

"My law firm is ready to sue the department in a multi million dollar lawsuit for your officers and their use of excessive force along with the emotional distress your department has caused." Mr. Locke continues, handing them a stack of legal papers.

"Oh.. uh I- I think there's been a misunderstanding, I'm going to go get the chief." The deputy says.

"What the hell were you two thinking?" Michaela scorns, looking at Jade and Kelce.

"I didn't do shit! It was Rafe and Topper being smartasses." Kelce says, putting his arms up.

"Baby brother, I'm gonna tell you one thing and you better get this through your thick head. You can't talk to the police like how your rich white friends do, okay? Not if you wanna live." Michaela scorns.

"I-" Kelce says, getting interrupted.

"They don't give a crap if you're rich or poor, you are a black boy in their eyes and that is all you'll ever be in their eyes and they will shoot you down like a dog in the street. Do you understand me?" Michaela scorns.

"He didn't do anything!" Jade defends.

"You've grown up with all this money and all this privilege but you are still black. What do you think would've happened if you were alone?" Michaela says, her arms on her hips.

"Okay, okay. I get it." Kelce says, wanting her to shut up.

"You idiot! You could've died!" Michaela says, tearing up. She slapped Kelce.

"Calm down, it wasn't a big deal. I'm not a pogue!" Kelce says.

"Not a big deal? All the money in the world won't change the fact that those cops shoot down black boys like you all the time. They don't care if you're rich or not! Get that through your head!" Michaela yells.