Chapter 4

THE CAMERON HOUSE - AFTER DINNER

Jade had gone to the Cameron house after dinner with her family, looking for her boyfriend when she overheard a fight with his dad.

"I just don't feel like you care, nothing shows me." Ward says.

"I said I do!" Rafe yells.

"You said." Ward says.

"What more do you want me to say?!" Rafe yells back.

"I don't want you to say anything! I wanted you to take care of business, where are the backup generators? I gave you money for the backup generators, you said you would take care of it. Did you take care of it? Where are they?" Ward asks.

"They're on back order." Rafe says, lying through his teeth. He had taken the money to buy a bike with it on an impulse.

"Yeah of course they are." His dad says, not believing him.

"There was a hurricane!" Rafe excuses.

"I tell you what, you know that pogue I just fired? Way more reliable than you." Ward says, Rafe scoffs.

"Really?" Rafe asks.

"Really." Ward says.

"You need to get it together or you can go live on the cut." Ward threatens, getting another scoff from him..

"Wow." Rafe says, upset.

"Is that funny to you? You can go live on the damn cut Rafe. As far as I'm concerned." His dad threatens.

"Now get up and get outta here I'm sick of looking at you. Make yourself useful somewhere somehow." Ward yells.

"You don't make Sarah do any of this." Rafe says.

"This isn't about Sarah. You're almost seventeen and your grades won't get you anywhere. Then after that you'll be eighteen. You don't get to sit back and have everything handed to you. Didn't you wanna be in the business? You know what I was doing when I was fifteen? I was working." Ward says.

"Yes sir." Rafe says, annoyed.

"It doesn't seem like you understand me." Ward yells.

"I'll take care of the generators." Rafe says.

"I'll believe that when I see it." His dad says.

Rafe walked back inside the house to see Jade standing by the door.

"Hey." Jade says, looking at Rafe. He was clearly upset  from the fight with his dad, his body language was tense but she saw his body soften up and his shoulders relax as he saw her.

"How much of that did you hear?" Rafe asks.