Chapter two

Disclaimer: I do not own Bleach nor am I associated with bleach or anyone involved with it in any way. Bleach is the property of its original creator, Tite Kubo.

Word count: 1369

Original posted date: 6/13/2021

_____________________________________

Soul society, a fancy restaurant in the Seireitei

Kira Izuru, the lieutenant of squad three, often referred to as the most gloomy of the lieutenants, was currently living up to his reputation. Izuru was sitting with his fellow lieutenants, Hisagi Shūhei of squad nine, Abarai Renji of squad six, and the boisterous Ōmaeda Marechiyo of squad two. The quartet of lieutenants were all sitting in a rather fancy restaurant, one that none of the four except Ōmaeda could afford.

"Come on Izuru, cheer up already, its not everyday we get to eat at such a classy joint after all," Renji said.

"Ha, speak for your self, I eat at places like this all the time, in fact- OUCH," Before Ōmaeda could finish his sentence Hisagi had kicked him from underneath the table.

"Look we all know you've been down lately, what with all the paper work you've had to deal with and the training drills what all that, so Ōmaeda decided to bring us all out to eat," Hisagi said giving the larger man a stern look.

"Yeah, so cheer up, already you gloomy jerk, your bringing the party down, and I'm the one paying here," Ōmaeda said rather obnoxiously loud. The over sized lieutenant  had a proud smug look on his face, much to the other three's annoyance.

Izuru sighed and rubbed the back of his neck, "I'm sorry guys, I'm just not in much of a happy mood," he said sighing again. The Gloomy man looked down at the ground and sighed again. "It's just, well, I got the news yesterday that my squad will be receiving a new captain today, and I'm not sure how I feel about that".

The three other lieutenant's looked surprised, none of them having been informed of the sudden news until just now them selves.

"Just a day's notice huh, doesn't sound to much like the Head captain or the Captain's council to give such news with such little time to prepare, especially given squad three's history," Hisagi said crossing his arms, looking seriously at his old friend.
"Typically at least a good times notice is given, in order to alert the squad, and word of a position such as the captain seat being filled travels fast within the Seireitei, especially amongst the Gotei 13," Hisagi added.

"Maybe the captains are just keeping everything hushed until they can size up this newbie, and make sure he's the real deal, instead of like..." Renji trailed off, casting an unsure glace at Izuru, afraid to continue.

However never being the one to read the room, or care about others feelings, Ōmaeda opened his big mouth.
"They're probably wanting to make sure he's not like former captain Ichimaru or that other guy who lit him self on fire in front of the whole court guard.

"His name was Amagai Shūsuke, how about you show same dame respect for once in your life, you big ape," Renji snapped giving the squad two lieutenant a angry glare.

At the mention of his former captains, Izuru's mood seemed to darken even more, much to he amazement and shock of the other three soul reapers.

"Did somebody say the words 'party', and 'I'm buying'," came a chirpy voice from next table over, bringing all four men out of their own conversations.

Izuru looked up and immediately smiled a little in shock. "Matsumoto, what are you doing here"?

The voice indeed belonged to the red head lieutenant of squad ten, Matsumoto Rangiku. The usual lay about of a lieutenant was grinning like there was absolutely nothing wrong with the world, despite the fact she was probably slacking off from her lieutenant's duty's resulting in her captain having to pull up her slack.