Chapter 34

Disclaimer: I do not own Bleach nor am I associated with bleach or anyone involved with it in any way. Bleach is the property of its original creator, Tite Kubo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Soul Society, squad four barracks)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sound of beeping machines, loud shouts of pain, and rushing members of squad four filled the squad four barracks. Currently however the busy noises were failing to enter the quite recovery room of Asora Ichimaru.

The room was fairly plan and quite, as well as dark in order to not upset the young soul reaper when he wakes up.

Scattered about the room was bottles of unopen sake, as well as flowers and get well cards. All of which sent or dropped off by the members of squad three. Along with these objects of concern and hopes of a speedy recovery, there was a certain rather gloomy man who was quickly becoming a fixture in the room.

No matter who came in, no matter what happened or was done, lieutenant Kira Izuru stayed loyally by the white haired soul reapers side. Never once did he leave.

Izuru rarely spoke to anyone, in the five weeks since they brought Asora into squad four, he hadn't said barely two words.

Captain Hitsugaya had taken over the duties and dealing of squad three until Asora recovered. Upon which Izuru would return to his duties to the squad.

The fate of the former captain was to be revisited that very day. The meeting called by Captains Hitsugaya and Ukitake. Izuru had been invited to the meeting but had silently refused. Captain Unohana promised him she would do everything in her power to see justice prevail.

Izuru was sitting by Asora's bed side, looking absent mindedly at the unconscious man. Wondering if he would ever wake up.

The medical squad had confirmed he had lost consciousness due to releasing his bankai after having been locked in the maggots nest for a few days. Despite it only being a few days it still left his spiritual energy weak and by all rights he shouldn't have been able to use his bankai in the first place.

lieutenant Isane was currently sitting with Izuru, she had done everything in her power to ease his concern and made his stay in the barracks more reasonable. 

Isane placed a hand on Izuru's shoulder. "Don't worry, I'm sure he'll wake up soon. My Captain told me his life was in no danger and that he'd eventually wake up. You have nothing to fear Izuru."

Izuru shook his head, "It's not that Isane. Today their determining his fate. He's not even able to stand up for himself and their going to determine his life for him. What if they decide to execute him."

Isane shook her head, a look of shock on her face, "Listen to yourself, that's crazy talk. Captain Unohana said she would do everything in her power to ensure justice is passed. Don't forget she's in Asora's corner. Not to mention the Head Captain, Captain Kyōraku, and Captain Komamura! He's in good hands."

Izuru didn't say anything, he merely looked on at the sleeping man, concern and worry eating him.

~~~~~~~~~

(Captains meeting room)

It felt as if the Captains had seen each other more lately compared to before Ichigo and his friends invaded the Soul Society.

Currently Captain Hitsugaya was giving a full report on the incident involving Asora Ichimaru.

"To conclude my report, the battle was nearly lost until Ichimaru Asora appeared and released his bankai and was able to kill the arrancar we were having difficulty defeating."

The Head Captain nodded, "Very good. Now then do you have anything else to report Captain?"

Hitsugaya nodded, "I have nothing else to report, however there is something I'd like to petition if that is acceptable to you Head Captain."

The Head Captain raised an eyebrow, "Hmm, this is highly unusual, however I will permit it this time. Proceed Captain Hitsugaya."

"Right, thank you Head Captain. My fellow Captains, while this will sound very strange coming from me, I Hitsugaya Tōshirō, am petitioning to reinstate Ichimaru Asora as Captain of squad three."

"What are you talking about, this is outrageous!" Captain Soi Fon said throwing her hands out, clearly outraged.

"I am quite shocked by this as well, before you were on the opposite side of the equation. Weren't you the one who stood against Ichimaru and sought to expose him," Captain Kurotsuchi asked, "What has brought about this sudden change of heart Captain?"

Hitsugaya nodded, "I understand your unease, however please know that this decision was brought about due to the events in the world of the living."

"That doesn't matter! He's a liar and a traitor he should be put to death!"

Captain Kyōraku clapped his hands together and stepped forward out of line slightly. "Now, now, no need for such an outburst. As someone who was present during the battle I can whole heartedly state having Ichimaru Asora as a Captain, would be a tremendous aid to the Thirteen Court Guard. Dismissing him would be a massive hit to our strength."

"Khe, that doesn't matter, he's still a criminal who should be brought up on proper charges and dealt with," Kenpachi said suddenly breaking out into a big grin, "I vote you let me fight him to the death. If he wins then he's innocent and blaw blaw. If I win he dies. Sounds fair to me."

Captain Ukitake cleared his throat. "If I may, fighting him will solve nothing Captain Zaraki. Furthermore I myself had suspicions about Asora, however during the battle against the arrancar I realized something. The barrier designed to stop his bankai could only stop it, as long as we were not viewed as enemies. If at any given moment he had chosen to, Asora could have turned his bankai on us. However he chose instead not to and simply used it against the enemy. When Gin appeared out of no where he attempted to kill him and might have if not for his body giving out. I fully believe that Ichimaru Asora deserves a second chance, and is deserving of being Captain of Squad three."

Soi Fon scoffed, "That's no reason to trust him, he could have done that to trick us. He and his traitors father could be working together to kill us all!"

Captain Unohana sighed and lowered his gaze, "It's clear arguing will get us no where. Head Captain," She looked at the Head Captain, "Perhaps we should have a vote to decide rather or not Asora will retain his position of Captain or not?"

The Head Captain seemed to think about this for a few minutes, and then nodded, "Very well. We shall have a vote. Those who deem Ichimaru Asora inadequate to retain his position raise your hand." He looked around the room at the hands raised. "Hm very well, those in favor of Ichimaru retaining his position raise your hand." The Head looked around and nodded, "Very well then it's decided. Ichimaru Asora's fate is-"

Word Count: 1110

Posted date: 1/17/24

Author note: Well, yes... I lied. This is not the last chapter, next chapter will be the epilogue. I hope you all enjoyed the chapter, let me know what you think? What do you think Asora's fate is hmm?

Until next time, please stay safe and healthy. Also please try to remember to be nice and kind to others. :)